04 confrontations

04 | confrontations

Amelia awoke with a start, the early morning light filtering through the curtains of her four-poster bed. As she stretched, a sudden realisation hit her – almost a month has passed since she last had contact with some of her important friends.

Determined to get the day started, Amelia quickly got dressed in her Slytherin uniform, making sure to look as presentable as possible. Her thoughts, however, are already on the task at hand. She knows that Professor Snape might be the only person who would help her if she has a plausible explanation.

Heading to the common room, she was met with the sight of Draco Malfoy engrossed in a letter. The expression on his face revealed a mix of emotions – concern, reluctance, and perhaps a touch of bitterness. Amelia approached him cautiously.

Draco is sitting on the couch in a pair of grey sweatpants and a white T-shirt. It appears that he has just woken up since his hair is in a mess on top of his head. Amelia admires the boy and then decides to speak up.

"Morning, Draco. Everything alright?" she inquires, trying not to pry too much into his personal affairs. She takes a seat on the couch next to him. Although they've been sharing a living space for over a week now, Amelia only notices the mark on his forearm, a mark that she's very much familiar with – The Dark Mark. She gulps.

Draco looks up, a faint smile appearing as he folds the letter. "Morning, Amelia. Just a letter from my mother, urging me to visit my father in Azkaban. Apparently, it's been a while."

Amelia's eyes soften with empathy. She knows the weight that family burdens could carry. "I'm sorry to hear that. Family matters can be complicated, can't they?"

"Yeah. Father really wants me to visit. I'm still debating if I should go. I doubt the ministry would even let me, considering the role I played during the war."

Amelia's eyes flicker to Draco's forearm again, something that doesn't go unnoticed by him. "It's disgusting, isn't it?" He asks, looking at Amelia's eyes.

"The Mark? I wouldn't say disgusting. I'd rather say it was unnecessary for you to get one."

Draco chuckles, "Funny thing is that I was ecstatic to get it. In the beginning of my 6th year I even bragged to my friends about it. Even scared this bloke Burgin, just to get what I needed. Only later I realised my mistake. Do you even know everything that I did?"

"I don't think it's important anymore." Amelia says. "It's in the past. We can't change what happened."

"I let them in here," Draco continues. "The Death Eaters. They destroyed everything. Heck, I even let that psycho Greyback in–" Amelia gulps at his words, very aware of the Death Eaters that Draco's talking about. "–for fucks sake he preys on children. He killed that weird chick in Gryffindor, who was obsessed with Ron."

Amelia forces out a tiny smile. "I'm sure that Greyback man got what he deserved in the end."

"No idea, some say he's still alive. Granger just knocked him off the bridge with a spell. The bastard is probably out there eating children and trying to extend his master race of werewolves."

Amelia freezes at Draco's horrifying words. "I think he's dead. People would've heard something by now."

"Whatever, the ministry is after all the Death Eaters. I'm sure he'll get locked up in Azkaban anyway." He stuffs the letter in his pocket and stands up from the couch. "Anyway, enough about that topic. Why are you awake so early?"