iv. someone who shares our deepest longings, our sense of direction

2023 October, London

"Dec, is it true that you and Ant have soulmates?"

The so-called journalists crowd around the Geordie, just trying to make his way from the shops. The air is suffocating, it makes Dec light-headed just thinking about the barrage of questions coming his way.

"Have the newest campmates been decided yet?!"

"How are the wife and kids?"

"Where's your other half?"

That last one almost makes Dec fall over.

"Do you have anything to say regarding the rumours that you have a soulmark, and that the name starts with an A?!"

Dec genuinely wants to hurl. It's not like he hadn't been mobbed by the nosy press and paparazzi before, but having to go through it alone... again... It just wasn't the best kind of memory for a certain Declan Donnelly. He walks even more briskly.

"If the whole soulmate thing is true, how did you hide it for so many years?!"

"Our sources say you've been hinting at it since the beginning of your career, but you never said anything!"

"Just come out with the truth!"

If only it was as easy as that... thinks Dec remorsefully.

His plate is full at the moment, the worry of Ant's recent behaviour, the new series of I'm A Celebrity just around the corner, production and shoots for the next Saturday Night Takeaway were back in full-force.

Ever since the NTAs, the two of them had been practically radio-silent. Minimal social media posting, avidly avoiding all the press and endless sea of inquiries they've been getting.

But to top it all off, Ant was avoiding him.

Dec wasn't actually sure if Ant was deliberately avoiding him. It was true that they didn't see each other as often as they did before, especially now with their ever-growing families. Even so, they would find themselves seeking the other's company a few times a week, or especially around the office.

Sometimes, when Dec would invite Ant over for dinner or to watch some shows over the telly, or even just asking him to grab lunch together, Ant would be quick to decline. Ant would be out the door in a hurry, and pop back maybe an hour later.

And there was the whole scratching at his soulmark thing that Ant never seemed to stop doing.

It was driving Dec to the verge of insanity.

He just wanted to have a nice day to think. Falling into a slower pace, his phone pings, and a message from Ant peeks from the top of his mobile. Speak of the devil...

AntMcP (13:03)
See ya tomorrow for the shoot, also we're going to see that match next week, yea?

Another ping.

AntMcP (13:04)
Take care Decs, miss you xx

"Who is that, Dec?!"

The mass of people come impossibly closer, huddling over him and crawling over each other to catch a glipse (or worse, a photo) of his screen.

A quick movement and the mobile goes completely black.

He needed to get home as soon as possible.

_______________________________