Chapter 20: Out of This World.

• • •

"But really, I would rather be at home
all by myself, not in this room
with people who don't even care
about my well being."
Here, Alessia Cara

• • •

"GOODNIGHT, MA

"GOODNIGHT, MA." I replied to her just as she ended the call. I didn't have time to think over the tiring and monotone conversation we'd just finished because Jane practically burst through my door with the biggest grin on her face.

I wasn't kidding when I said that Jane would force me to go to the party with her. It was all she was talking about every day for the entire week until Friday finally arrived and all she could think about was how awesome the entire set-up was going to be.

Whereas, all I could think about was statistics, statistics, statistics and how Ilkay was probably sick of me because of how much I bothered him with all my doubts about almost every question. We'd decided to meet everyday for the week when we'd realised the amount of content there was left to cover. He hated me by now.

I was sure of it. He was only forcing himself to tolerate my presence because we had to share the book, but he definitely hated me. And I could back this up with recent examples: he'd rolled his eyes at every doubt I had yesterday, the day before that he was completely silent and didn't say much, the day before that day he had been angry and he let it all out on me. He was trying so hard to hide his hatred, yet he couldn't help himself.

He hated me. And of course, considering his recent bipolar behaviour, I hated him too. What was wrong with him? Constantly changing when he wanted to be nice to me and when he wanted to be rude? Yeah, no thanks. I hated him too.

But aside from statistics, all I could think about was convincing Jane that I did not want to go to any parties at all. They just weren't for me. I tried multiple excuses, but she came up with every solution and decided that I needed to step out of my comfort zone if I wanted to make any friends at all. Hence, any of my complaints and excuses flew over her head.

And now it was finally time for her to force the idea of going to a party on me.

I glanced at her and the dress she was holding up. "Your call ended! That means it's time to get ready to party!"

There was so much excitement in her voice, like she was genuinely happy to go out and be surrounded by other people our age and dance until her feet were sore. I sighed, "Is there no way I can convince you that I don't want to go?"

She shook her head cheekily, "We'll have a great time, come on. I'll be with you the entire night, I promise."

"I'll be such a downer though. What if you end up regretting taking me along?" I challenged her.