Ghosts of the Past

Golden sunlight streamed into Jake's room, painting the walls with a warm glow as he lay in bed, his mind replaying the vivid scenes from Emily's night terror. He hadn't yet told her about his ability to experience her dreams as if they were his own, nor about the key he had seen – a detail that seemed increasingly significant.

Jake pondered over the stark contrast between Emily's reactions upon waking from her nightmares. This time, she had awoken calm and collected, so different from her previous episode of terror and confusion. This discrepancy made him wonder: did Emily not remember her latest nightmare? And how many of these night terrors had she experienced without any recollection?

The desire to understand and possibly help Emily with these night terrors grew stronger in Jake, but his recent banishment from her house posed a significant obstacle. He recognized the need to spend more time with her, hoping to observe more of these dreams and piece together their meanings. But with the new restrictions placed by Emily's father, finding opportunities to do so would be a challenge. Jake lay there, contemplating his next steps, his resolve to help Emily unwavering despite the complications that lay ahead.

Jake's phone vibrated, snapping him out of his contemplations. Emily's message appeared on the screen: "Hey Jake, I'm coming over in a few minutes. I have something important to share with you." His curiosity piqued, Jake quickly replied, "No problem, Em. See you soon." He hopped out of bed, eager to see her, and in his haste, he stumbled over a pile of clothes, landing in an awkward heap on the floor.

At that moment, his foster mother's voice called from outside his room. "Jake, sweetheart, I'm heading to the store. Need anything?" She stepped into the room, only to find Jake grinning up at her from the floor.

"Um, Jake, are you alright?" she asked with a chuckle.

"Yeah, I'm fine," he replied, scrambling to his feet. "Just getting ready. Em's coming over."

His foster mother's response came with a knowing smile and a playful wink. "Ah, that explains the clumsiness," she teased.

Jake rolled his eyes in mock annoyance, a smile playing on his lips. Living with Charla and Paul Glenn had brought a sense of warmth and normalcy into his life – a stark contrast to his previous home environment. Their cheerful and caring nature made even the simplest moments feel more joyful. As he tidied up his room in anticipation of Emily's arrival, he couldn't help but feel grateful for the support and affection they offered him.

Emily's arrival was marked by a brief, warm exchange with Charla at the door before she made her way to Jake's room. "Hi, Jake," she greeted him with a cheerful tone, but Jake detected a trace of urgency behind her words.

"Hey, Em," he responded, offering a welcoming smile. Emily settled onto his bed, and Jake joined her, taking a seat close by. He could sense there was something on her mind.

"What's up, Emily?" he asked gently.

Emily began with a note of hesitation in her voice. "First, I really want to talk about the other night. And... I'm sorry again for my dad's rules. It's just so frustrating."

"Don't worry about it, Emily. I get it. Your dad's just trying to look out for you," Jake assured her, his tone understanding.

Emily, visibly comforted by his empathy, still seemed troubled by another thought. "Jake, why were you crying when I woke up that night?" she inquired, her gaze intent and probing.

Jake exhaled deeply, feeling the weight of his secret. "Em, there's something about me... something I've kept hidden for a long time. I'm afraid that telling you might hurt you. You've become really important to me, and I can't bear the thought of causing you any pain," he confessed, his voice trembling slightly.