Chapter 31-Audrey

After a brief exploration of the mansion, we make our way back to Jake's. Still nursing my embarrassment from earlier, I focus on scouring Google for any overlooked details for the upcoming renovation. Navigating through the chaos felt endless, and by the time we finish dinner, I'm mentally and physically drained.

Aislinn, eager to catch up with Ellie and Ben, somehow convinced their parents to let them have a sleepover. I can only imagine how little sleep she's going to get tonight. Not much. Yet, witnessing my daughter so happy eases some of the worry that's been consuming me.

Jake and I cozy up on his couch, him sitting tall on one end while I snuggle into him, stretching my legs out along the length of the cushion. The crackling fire provides comforting warmth, aided by a knitted blanket Jake found in his closet, a treasured item passed down from his mother.

As I lay my head against Jake's shoulder, he wraps his arm around me and gently rubs my arm. "Are you ready to go to sleep, hun?" It strikes me that this is the first time he's used a term of endearment for me. Our relationship seems to be progressing to a new level of intimacy. Though, I haven't quite figured out what to call him yet. Not that it really matters.

I tilt my head slightly upward from where it rests on his shoulder. Jake's eyes meet mine, conveying kindness, happiness, and something else-perhaps a hint of lust? With his free hand, he caresses my face, brushing away a stray hair that has fallen out of place. This is a gesture he has done countless times before, and each time, it still makes my heart flutter. This man continues to captivate me with his love and tenderness.

Jake stops me from speaking by gently placing his forefinger on my lips. He quickly replaces it with the soft press of his lips, barely touching mine. My heart races in anticipation as I long for more. Our mouths are slightly open, and I can feel the warmth of his breath on my tongue. Something stirs within me, and I let out a silent plea for more. Jake inches closer, waiting patiently for my response. My pulse quickens and I can barely contain myself. With a heavy whisper, I say his name, and he immediately dives into my mouth with passion. Our tongues dance together, exchanging breaths as though giving life to each other.

With a deep, guttural moan, he pulls me closer to him and shifts my position on the couch. I am now lying down with him on top of me. Our lips never part as he reaches for a cushion and gently places it behind my head. As we continue our passionate embrace, I can feel his weight pressing against me. My arms wrap around his shoulders and my legs, clad in denim, entwine around his waist. Despite being fully clothed, I can sense his desire for me, and I know I want him just as much.

Tonight, Jake and I take our relationship to a new level of intimacy. His gentle touch and warm embrace make me feel like a new person; all the nerves and hesitation from before disappearing in the flood of emotions that follow. As we lie in his bed, his arms around me, I feel safe and secure, ready for a peaceful night's sleep.

I awaken in Jake's bed, the warmth of his doona still surrounding me. He loosely drapes his arm over my waist as he lies in a deep slumber. Trying not to disturb him, I carefully remove his arm and make my way to the bathroom on tiptoe. Coffee sounds appealing, but the thought of slipping back into bed with him is even more tempting. There's no need to rush today.

As I lay on my side and watch him sleep, I take in every detail about Jake that has gone unnoticed until now. The steady rise and fall of his chest as he breathes, the intricate pattern formed by the hairs on his chest and stomach. But it's the shape of his arms that captivates me. Using one finger, I trace along the curves of his arm from his shoulder down to his hand. He shudders and holds his breath for a moment before returning to a peaceful rest. I resist the urge to caress his muscles again, although it becomes increasingly difficult not to succumb to temptation.