2008

A/N: Each chapter is a different year, you're going to be jumping around but I will name the chapters by the year and also put it at the top of the chapter. :)

2008
The voices of their children in the next room hummed in Shaylah's ears. She could tell they were arguing but their voices softened quickly. Severus' hand gave hers a light squeeze. His dark eyes trained on the side of her face as she stared into the cauldron. A bright white glow emitted from the contents and a small cloud of wispy white smoke coiled over the rim. She felt his empty hand brush the few stray hairs that had fallen over her cheek and tuck them behind her ear. Such a simple and sweet gesture, one she would miss in their time apart. She felt her lips curl at the corners. "Do you really think it will work this time?" She saw him nod in her peripherals. She threw her arms around her husband, gripping him tightly to her.

Ten years, ten years since the war finished and Voldemort had won. The Boy Who Lived had not survived his final face off with the monster who had made him the Chosen One. The world had fallen into utter chaos, a post-apocalyptic shadow of its former self.  Muggleborn witches and wizards were hunted and given no option to plead their case, they were murdered in the streets. Half-bloods were not treated nearly as awful, they were given the chance to marry other half-bloods, therefore producing full blooded children. Severus had played an enormous part in that. Whether his reasoning was logical or not, he saved many lives.

He could do nothing for the Muggleborns, Voldemort refused to hear anyones reasoning when it came to them. They were scum and the Dark Lord loved nothing more than working to snuff them out.

Their children's laughter flittered between the thoughts in her head, pulling her back to the present task. The bubbling potion sat patiently, waiting for her. "Severus, I'm scared. What if it doesn't work? You won't know me."

She felt his shoulders slacken and he sucked in a harsh breath. "It has to work."

"And our children, if it works they won't exist." She was whispering now, the heavy rock in her gut pulling away all her courage.

"Perhaps they still will, in another time." His nose brushed her ear as he nuzzled his face into the crook of her shoulder. His hot breath tickled her neck.

A tear fought its way free from the corner of her eye and a sob escaped her. In another time the world may have another chance, but she felt she wouldn't. If she succeeded in changing the events of the past, she would lose Severus and the life they had built. Lives would be saved but she would never be held in these strong arms again.