32. Under Surveillance

Work was too long and stressful. I tried getting into contact with our new client, but he decided he was going to shut his phone off. I left multiple messages, hoping he'd turn his phone back on before Christmas. I was not trying to be on the receiving end of the chairman's wrath. He likes when things get done quickly.

On my way home, I invited Stacey and her friends to come over. We all haven't really seen each other since the Jocelyn incident. That was months ago, but it seems a little bit longer. I promised to provide the snacks and all they had to do was bring their own drinks. I honestly don't like wasting money on alcohol. Unless it's wine.

I wasn't really expecting Jocelyn to show up. I was hoping Stacey would tell her that she wasn't welcomed. To my surprise, and disappointment, she was the first to show up. I did my best to keep her company, but I didn't want anything to do with her. She's sleeping with my boyfriend and thinks I'm in the dark about it! I just want to wrap my hands around her throat and watch the light drain from her brown eyes.

To be honest, once Jocelyn showed up, I wanted to order food instead. She wouldn't have the honor of tasting my cooking. She'd definitely come up with some plan to use me more. She'd probably ask me to make something for a date. I know for a fact she'll bring it to Sebastian.

"I've known you for a while and I've never seen the inside of your house," she said. "How come?"

"I was having renovations done, Jocelyn," I snapped. "You should know that. I'm sure Stacey told you time and time again."

"True, but renovations finished a while back."

She has a point. I just didn't want her to find out how well I'm living. It might make her jealous enough to expose her relationship with Sebastian to me.

"Haven't yours?"

"What?"

"I hadn't had the time to host any housewarming parties." I shrugged. "This is really my first time off in months. I'm just glad I was able to spend time with you guys today."

"We're Stacey's friends, you know that, right?"

"Of course, but her friends are my friends. She's been telling me that since we moved here."

"I don't want to be your friend, Roxanne."

"I don't want to be yours, but I can't have everything I want, now can I?" I rolled my eyes.

The silence was deafening. If Stacey and the rest of her friends hadn't come in at that moment, I'm sure Jocelyn and I would have fought. She'd finally know I knew about her. Not the plan I want to go with, but it's something.

"Hey, hey!" Stacey yelled. I could tell she was a little buzzed. "Hey, Joci!"

"Hey, Stace!" Jocelyn stood up to hug my friend. "It's been a while."

"You know it. How's the new apartment? I know you said they're working on a few things."

"Yeah, but they should be finished checking things out before Christmas."

"That's good. Do you need help settling in?"

"Nah, it's all good. I'll get a friend to help me out."

A friend? I was glad I knew she wasn't talking about Sebastian. I knew for a fact he was packed and ready to leave at any given moment. His grandfather isn't promising anyone he'll live any longer.

"Sorry we're late, Rox." Stacey smiled at me.

"You're not late." I chuckled. "The food is all ready. Just bring the drinks to the back."