7̲.̲

Javon Carter

"Starter ass mansion." I sucked my teeth while looking at the average sized 'mansion' and small gate that barely protected it. I stepped out of my car and pressed a button waiting for him or whoever to open the door.

"Who is it?" A feminine voice asked through the speaker and I shook my head at the amateur security system he had; that was most likely his lady that he had checking in with people.

"Javon." I briefly replied while looking at the grey New Balance runners on my feet. Even though the little nigga that came to my house told me that Syair wasn't behind the failed set up, I still wanted to check in with him about the weird moves he's making.

The gate opened and I went through walking towards the French Country styled home. I rang the doorbell and moments later it was opened by Lynn who gave me a warm smile. Over the years she and Nyla became close friends so I was familiar with the woman.

"Hey Lynn." I softly greeted my wife's friend and she opened the door wider allowing me in her home.

"Hi Von! Syair is waiting in the living room." Lynn said and I followed her down the long hallway until we reached the living room. Syair's back was turned and he sat alone on the couch watching a college basketball game.

"Baby, Javon's here." Lynn said softly as she caressed his bald head and Syair basked in her affection before looking over at me. I didn't feel the need to wait for his invite so I just entered his living room and took a seat at one of the separate cushions.

"What brings you here?" Syair asked in a flat tone once his lady left and I made sure to give him my full attention as a way to show he didn't intimidate me. Although he and I were technically "family" now, there has always been animosity among us and him becoming a king pin made it worse.

Syair use to just be a lowkey drug supplier and that never bothered me. However, he decided to become a king pin a couple years back which made him my competition. I try hard to keep shit cool between us because he was my daughters uncle, but I really don't like this nigga.

"Look, I'm not stupid- I know you're working with Reid." I cut straight to the point like he did and Syair shrugged his shoulders while side eying me as if the shit was normal.

"Okay. The fuck does that have to do with you?" Syair asked menacingly which took me aback, but I didn't show any emotion. Syair is usually laidback, but Nyla did tell me that the nigga was a menace with a bad temper.

"So you just happen to start working with Reid after I became partners with Maria? I know you look up to me, but shit." I let out an arrogant laugh and watched as Syair's eyebrows furrowed. He narrowed his light hazel eyes at me before running his hand through his bushy ginger beard.

"I look up to you? You're not the first nigga to be a king pin, and you definitely won't be the last." Syair said seriously while keeping his eyes on me. "I always knew you were threatened by me- you can't hide your secret animosity for shit." Syair let out a fake laugh giving me one last glare before focusing back on the game.

I raised my eyebrows feeling humored by his delusional thinking. I've been selling drugs since I was 15 and started my own fucking organization at 20 right after my mentors death. I've been in this business too fucking long for me to be threatened by some wannabe ass drug lord.