Chapter 01: First Night Out

— Wendy —

Reaching my hand into my back pocket, I pull out my small, scuffed up pocket mirror. Snapping it open, I catch sight of my reflection in the dim glow cast by street lights on either side of me. I brush back my wavy honey brown hair and take in the sight of my stark black eyeshadow as it clashes against my pale skin and outlines my blue gray eyes. Flicking the mirror to my lips, I check for imperfections in the dark cherry lipstick covering the old cat scratch on my upper lip.

Finding none, I snap the mirror closed and nervously adjust my clothes where I find them clinging to me. Taking hold of the lapel of my dark jean jacket, I draw it closer to my body, covering up the rips in my faded band-tee and the fishnet shirt underneath where the wind had caused goosebumps to pepper my skin.

I found myself wishing I could check the time as I waited for the boys to make their appearance. Dusting off my dark skinny jeans, awash with the first prickles of anxiety, I found my way over to the curb underneath the street light.

The comforting shadow of my home loomed behind me. With my back facing the driveway, I could see where the warm glow coming from my bedroom windows illuminated my flyaway hairs to a startling gold degree. My anxiety grew as the minutes ticked passed. The only outward sign of this finding its way into my fingers as they worried at a loose string on my jeans and in my beat up combat boots as I toed a stray pebble in a vain attempt to pass the time.

This was exactly why I had wanted to meet the boys tonight. This was exactly why I needed to see them. The anxiety was practically burning a hole through me and they always knew the best ways to distract me from my fears.

Tonight was the night of my first date. I was head over heels for this amazing girl. The problem was, I, also being a girl, and an awkward one at that, had spent the last two months painstakingly building up the courage to ask her out. But the need to push my mouth to form those words all but melted away when she kissed me. The words ended up falling out of their own accord and she had honestly been a little upset that I had taken her follow up question. Even now, I feel a goofy grin slip onto my face at the thought of her smiling, shocked at the surprise that we felt the same way for each other.

My smile falters as I feel a hand clamp down against my left shoulder, jarring me out of my thoughts at the silent arrival of a familiar face. Turning my head, I find myself face to face with Marko, looking angelic despite the fact that he had missed a pearl of blood at the corner of his mouth in his rushed attempt to clean up. He reaches a hand to pull me up from my makeshift spot as I say,

"Boys!", with a huff and a slight furrow to my brow, "I was starting to worry our plans had changed."

"Not a chance, little birdie, dinner ran late, is all", Paul butt in with a laugh, "You know we would never leave you hanging. Especially in your time of need."

A sly smirk has taken up residence on his face as he leaned a lazy arm across my shoulders, pulling me close in an attempt to seal his apology.

Shrugging him off with a shake of my head, I come to face the most imposing member of the group, David.

"It's clear that Marko and Paul already ate, what with Marko's hasty clean up job," I say pointing towards his mouth, "And Paul being more obnoxious than usual. But did you two have a chance to eat yet?" I ask, gesturing to him and the stoic brunet standing next to him.

Marko swipes a thumb over the corner of his smirking lips that held the reminder of his dinner, causing Paul to crow a laugh at him for botching his clean up job.