Chapter 10: A Missing Piece

– David –

The sun sets around us. The last light of day fading from existence as we woke from our slumber. We stretched and shook off the remnants of dreams before taking flight.

With the cave behind us, we crossed the sands and the boardwalk in turn. Santa Carla was far below us, caught unaware and ours for the taking. The lost boys fell in line behind me, laughing and crowing as we made our descent to the streets below.

The four of us touched down lightly on the glossed pavement. A light sheen of rainwater shrouded the street, casting it in a dark glow that was both haunting and mesmerizing – just as everything else in Santa Carla seemed to be.

We walked in silence for a few moments, blending in with the shifting shadows and staying away from the sputtering street lights that hung above us. The next block found us in front of the police station. From the outside, it appeared mostly dark and empty, a few figures lingering outside.

The doors stayed closed after nightfall. Which meant we only had to worry about the night shift officers. Luck seemed to be on our side.

The officers on the outskirts of the building said their goodbyes to each other and their greetings to the two officers that would take over the night watch.

They departed, leaving the newcomers standing with their backs to the brick. We caught snatches of their conversation. The larger of the two, patted down his pockets as if searching for something. Coming up empty, he turned to the severe looking woman beside him.

"Hey Cheryl, what do you say we grab a couple of coffees before our shift starts?"

She looked down at her watch and then turned back to him, "We've got ten minutes, Hank. These better be some damn good coffees if you expect me to spend an entire shift with you." She smiled at the end to soften her words, although the overall effect was the same. She tugged at the ends of her auburn braid before swinging it back over her shoulder.

Hank seemed a little put out, but continued anyway, "There's a new late night cafe that opened. I'll even pay this time."

She turned away, moving to the police car. Unlocking the passenger side door, she motions for him to take a seat saying, "Really? Is that the one on Main? I'm surprised businesses aren't taking the curfew more seriously."

Hank settled into the seat, turning to look back at his partner before she had the chance to close the door. "Wait, are we bad cops if we're supporting shops open past nightfall?"

Cheryl rolled her eyes fondly, "No Hank, it's all in the name of supporting the town, isn't it? Small businesses provide us with the caffeine so we can do our jobs well into the night and we give them the money to do so, so all of us can keep the town in tip top shape."

She finished with a sigh as she let the passenger door fall closed.

From where we stood, we saw the other officer, Hank, protest behind the glass. The first officer swung around the other side of the vehicle and popped open the door. She started up the car with a tinny roar that echoed lowly through the quiet street.

Over the sound, I could just make out their parting words.

She said, "We've got ten minutes. We aren't staying long enough for you to stock up on doughnuts. We've got enough down at the station."

"Ten minutes," he agreed. "You got it, boss."

It seemed we had some time on our hands.

With the distractions gone, we set to work. We moved together, creeping closer to the station, trying to find a way in.