Chapter 1: Yorktown Starbase

Dr. Samantha G. Kirk:

Hard to believe that it's been six years since I was woken up from cryogenic sleep. Still don't know how that chamber was found. Admiral Marcus wouldn't tell me. Now, he's dead and...all I have is my suspicions about where it came from. I walked through the Yorktown base to meet my brother, Captain James Tiberius Kirk. A lot has happened since then. I finally finished my schooling at Starfleet and reunited with my brother. My cheeks heated up slightly as I remembered that Jim had introduced me to his friend, Dr. McCoy. I rolled my eyes at myself. Not like that'll ever happen. He said he had a pretty rough divorce from his wife. I doubt he's jumping on the bandwagon to go out with anyone else.

A lot's definitely happened. A future Romulan, Nero, attacked Earth and Kirk and his crew fought him and his crew off. I was on Earth, finishing my studies. At Starfleet. I sighed as I walked into my zone's bar. John Harrison killed Admiral Pike and Admiral Marcus. He was actually a genetically engineered human named Khan Noonien Singh.  He attacked Starfleet's San Francisco headquarters as revenge for what Admiral Marcus did to him and threatened to do to his crew, who are all still locked up in cryogenesis chambers. Khan was stopped by my brother's first officer, Mr. Spock. Then...Kirk left on the Enterprise's five-year mission. And I was transferred here. To Yorktown. Where Krall attacked three years later. I sighed again as I spotted Kirk sitting at a table with Dr. McCoy. Let's hope nothing else happens. I put a smile on and walked over to Dr. McCoy and Jim as I spotted them.

"Hey, James."  I flashed a quick look at Dr. McCoy. "Dr. McCoy." Dr. McCoy nodded and raised his glass to me.

"Samantha. Good to see you again."

"Sam, how's it going?" Jim asked. I sat down across from them as he continued. "You've been okay? The illness hasn't-" I shook my head, interrupting him.

"I've been fine. Especially since...I was put in cryostasis until...I could be cured." A waiter strode over and took my drink order. Dr. McCoy made a face.

"Well, let's make a toast to the three of us still being alive!" He held out his glass and waited for me and Jim to clink our glasses against his. I raised my glass and bumped my glass against his. Jim followed suit as I spoke up.

"To the three of us somehow still being alive."  Beep-beep!  I pulled out my communicator and answered it.  "Hello?  I understand.  Yes, ma'am.  I'll be right there."  I flashed a smile at my brother and his best friend.  "Well, I've gotta go.  My captain, Captain Frances, has been given a mission to explore Xamma in the nebula."  Jim made a face as he knocked back his drink.

"Captain Frances...she's captain of the U.S.S. Navy, right?" Jim asked.  I nodded.

"Yeah, she's not usually sent on missions like this, but from what she just told me, it's an important one."  Jim and Dr. McCoy flashed each other a look.  "I'll see you both when I get back.  Wish me luck."  I knocked back my drink and stood up.  Both men stood up, too, stepping over to me.  Jim hugged me tightly and I laughed lightly.  "I'll be fine, Jim.  As important as the mission is, it's supposed to just be a routine scout mission for the Navy.  Besides, I'm the older one.  I'm supposed to be worrying about you.  Not the other way around."  Jim let go of me and grinned.

"Well, forgive me for worrying about my big sister, given that I had to spend ten years without her."  I rolled my eyes.

"I'm sure you survived.  You had Admiral Pike and Mom to keep you company."

"Hey!  What am I?  Chopped liver?" Dr. McCoy asked, teasingly.  I rolled my eyes again.

"No, you're a doctor, Dr. McCoy."