Chapter 9: The Backstabber

I woke up early the next morning and went outside for a quick swim in our pool. I put my hair up in a bun and stepped into the pool. "Oh my gosh, this is cold." I whispered to myself. I closed my eyes and took a breath.

"Ya, it's freezing." I heard someone say. I quickly shot open my eyes. Wes was sitting across from me and smiling.

"Oh...um, i didn't know you were awake.." I said startled. He looked at me and smiled wider and he laughed a little. He raised his arms and hung them on the side of the pool. "So, uh," He cleared his throat, "your Dawson's sister right?"

"Well, step-sister. When my Dad died, my mom and his dad-"

"Got together. Yah, he told me."

"Then why did you ask?"

"Hey Wes! Come upstairs! I need to show you something!" Yelled Dawson from the upstairs window. You could hear his distant laughter as he closed his window.

"Ok! I'll be up in 5!" He said as he started to swim towards the ladder. "Gotta go, i'll talk to you again soon and answer your question later." He said with a smile. I watched him get out of the pool and dry himself up. He slung the towel over his shoulder and walked inside my house. He dissapeard behind the curtains.

"He was going to talk to me later' I thought to myself. 'Wait. No! You like Aaron! Not Wes...Right?'

_____________________________________________________________________________

"Alex! Come in for breakfast." Said my mom as she poked her head into the sunlight. She closed one eye and squinted at me with the other, waiting for my response. I wrapped myself in a towel and walked inside. I sat down in my chair as eggs and bacon arrived in my plate. Dawson and Wes came in laughing, there stomachs bouncing and there eyes watering.

"What's so funny?" Asked my mom as she looked at them.

"Oh just this video on youtube." Said Dawson as he and Wes took a seat. Wes sat across from me. My stomach suddenly lurched. Uh oh...butterflies. Why am I feeling butterflies? It isn't Wes that is meant for me...Is it? Besides, he's 2 years older. Aaron is my age. Aaron is my type and the guy I like. Not Wes.

I thought about Aaron for a few minutes. His blonde hair, blue eyes and how they sparkled when the sun hit him. Suddenly, Wes came into my mind. His brown hair and brown eyes, his tanned skin, abs...his...his...

Ok. Maybe Wes is the guy I like. Not Aaron.

"I gotta go make a call." I said standing up. I looked at Wes. He suddenly looked down. Huh? I guess he was staring at me.

"But, honey. It's breakfast time." Said my mom as she patted on the seat of my chair motioning me to come sit down and eat.

"Ok. I will eat breakfast after I make this call." I said while walking out of the kitchen. I walked upstairs and slammed my door behind me. I quickly picked up the phone and dialed a number.

"Hello?" Answered the voice on the other line.

"Hi, can I please speak to Aaron?"