The Final Chapter: The Backstabber

"Hey Alex, howv'e you been?" Said Aaron into the phone.

"Listen, I need to talk to you about something."

"Sure, what is it?"

I took a deep breath. I heard a little knock on the door. I looked up to see Wes standing there.

"Alex? You there?" Asked Aaron.

"I'm...um..." Wes took a step closer to me. My heart started thumping.

"What's wrong?"

"Uh...I don't think...um..." Our eyes locked. He was close to me now.

"Alex? What's happening right now?" Aaron said, practically yelling into the phone.

"I'll call you back in a minute."

"But Alex wait-" I heard him say. I hung up the phone. I put it down.

"Wes?" I asked.

"Can I answer your question?" He asked. He sat down across from me.

"Sure," I said breathlessly.. My throat felt swelled up and my tongue felt numb.

"You asked me, why I asked you the question I asked you."

"Well, what's your answer?" I said while biting my bottom lip.

"Um...I-"

"Wes come on, we need to go practice some B-Ball." Said Dawson as he walked into my room and sat at my computer desk. He looked at me and Wes. "What?" He said. Wes stood up and grabbed the basket ball from Dawson. He turned around. "See you later Alex." Said Wes as he smiled and winked at me. Dawson got up and him and Wes walked out of my room. I heard the front door close. I walked over to my window and watched Wes and Dawson play in the front yard with the net above the garage. I walked over to my mirror. I had no makeup on, and I was wearing a wet bathing suit with a towel around me. I giggled at the sight of my frizzy, messed up hair. I walked back downstairs to finish my breakfast.

______________________________________________________________________________

Soon, It was nighttime and I wanted to go to sleep. I woke up around 2:00 am because I heard a basketball bouncing outside. Uh, why was my brother so obsessed with sports? I walked outside in bare feet and walked onto the driveway to find Wes playing basketball by himself.

"What are you doing!?" I yelled. He looked at me. He was sweating and he was breathing heavily. "It's 2:00 am!" I walked over to him. "Wes?...Wes! Are you OK?" I grabbed the ball out of his hand and looked into his eyes. "There is something bugging me and I...I don't know how to say it!" He said grabbing the ball from me and throwing it into the net.

"Wes! Whatever it is, you can tell me!"

"I can't get my mind off of you." Said Wes as he stepped close. I could feel his breath on my cheek.

"Wes-"

"I know, I just met you. But Dawson's told me so much about you. I felt like I knew you for years before I met you." I looked into his eyes. He leaned in close to me. The moonlight lit up his chiseled face. "Can...Can I try something?" He said, his voice getting choppy. His unreadable expression was mesmerizing. I started breathing heavily. My heart was thumping and butterflies in my stomach were taking flight.

Just as he was about to lean in, I turned my head away. "What's wrong?" He asked, his voice was shaking. 

"It's just... Aaron and I..."

"Listen, if you love him, I'm totally fine with that. But, I just have a feeling he isn't right for you."

"What? Me and Aaron are totally compatible!"