Chapter 9 - Fading Reflections

"Run, Ally! Don't think about me!" A feeble voice.

I am extremely weak, seemingly losing strength, but I can't leave him in that situation. Blood covers his face, but I also need to save myself, especially the child I carry in my womb.

I am frail, with a long way to go. I don't know this place.

As the dream unfolded, the distant hum of an engine reached my ears, blending with the sharp pang in my abdomen. A car emerged from the shadows, headlights piercing through the darkness. The metallic scent of blood filled the air, and the chilling touch of fear paralyzed me. Desperate, I covered my face, unsure if survival lingered beyond the impending darkness.

"Lara?! Wake up!" Erin, in a state of panic.

It was a nightmare, just a nightmare. I hugged Erin out of sheer fear, crying uncontrollably.

"It's okay, it's okay..." while patting my back.

Erin took a glass of water from the side table
"You were dreaming. Here, drink it"

"Lately, it seems like something has been bothering you. Tell me, Lara, what is it? I might be able to help."

I stifled the words that begged to escape, imprisoned by the fear of unveiling my fractured reality to Erin. How could I admit that I wasn't Lara that somewhere in the corridors of my mind, fragments of a forgotten truth waited to be resurrected? Uncertainty clung to my thoughts, a dense fog obscuring the path I needed to traverse.

I had an accident just like Lara. I was hit by a car.

I held my stomach in the lower abdomen.

The pain I'm feeling is overwhelming.

I clenched my fists in intense anger.

I will never forgive you!!!

We've returned to the province, and I must say I prefer it here more than in the city. It feels like a thorn has been lifted from my chest, gradually experiencing peace now. I recall that dream, those dreams are my memories.

"Lara, you have a visitor," Erin suddenly appeared behind me while I pondered in the garden.

"A visitor? Who?" I asked, puzzled, because since I arrived here, Lara hasn't had any friends visit her. Could it be that they just found out Lara has been discharged from the hospital? Isn't it?

"Hi!"

A person annoyingly waved in my view.

I just stared at him, not bothering to greet back.

Why is he here? It's irritating.

Travis closed the distance between us, his footsteps echoing softly in the garden. The warmth of the sunlight highlighted his features, and a smile, unfamiliar yet strangely comforting, graced his lips. It was a departure from the usual expressions I'd seen, adding a layer of mystery to his presence.

"Alright then! I'll leave you two here. I'll just prepare our snacks," Erin said.

I looked at him again, giving a stern look so he'd know I don't want his presence here.

"How are you? Are you okay now? How's life in the city?"

"Why? And what are you doing here again?" I asked irritably.

"Just visiting you."

"I don't want to see you," I snapped at him.

"Why?"