CHAPTER TWELVE ❀ NO MONEY, MORE PROBLEMS ❀

ii LUCKY COMPASS

PART FOUR

RAVEN ENTERED HER HOUSE TAKING A DEEP BREATH, REFUSING TO STRESS HERSELF OUT EVEN MORE.  She was met with the mango smell of the Shelley's air freshener. It was her solution for drowning how the putrid smell the storm brought in and it worked pretty well. As soon Raven inhaled it she forgot about her outside problems. 

Her mind was enraptured by the Shelley's plans leading up to midsummers. Tomorrow was a cleaning day at the beach. It was good opportunity for the teens to get community service and win some points for scholarships and more bragging rights. 

Lately her Aunt has been more focused on what she would wearing that the events. In the living room stood several stylist holding up the different color fabric against her skin. She wanted a color that made her eyes pop and skin glow. 

In the room was full of grown women around Shelley's age listening and discussing plans leading up to the midsummers. Raven spotted a few familiar faces, like Topper's mom and Sarah's step mother. They were a group of cunty rich women, that didn't mind stepping on each other to get to the top on the social hierarchy. 

Heels of Shelley's shoes tapped the marble floor as they scurried towards Raven. "Hey Raven, come over here. We have to pick the right color for you?" 

She pulled her niece to the clothing rack. There wasn't any specific dresses Shelley wanted her to wear, just colors that she felt complimented their complexions. Behind them were her assistants taking notes and calls for her. 

Raven couldn't remember their names, but they were entertaining. Every time Shelley scolded them for doing something wrong, they'd silently mock her behind her back. 

"I already know what color I want." Shelley continued holding the fabric against her niece's skin. It wasn't until one of her assistance tapped her back, she straightened her back and listened. 

"Let's hear it." Shelley crossed her arms while her assistants stood on both sides of her. Raven couldn't explain the weird feeling that bubbled in her stomach. In the room full of people, she was the one people judged on a stupid.

"Red." 

Shelley face dropped. Her relaxed demeanor changed with one word. It was enough to bring back memories she tried to push away. She took a step back went over to the cart shuffling through the colors.

The women all huddled around Raven picture how the bold color would look against the teen. They all passed around compliments except for Rose, who just stood by sipping on her champagne.