chapter 14: hotel

My eyes slowly flutter open, and a warm line of sunset beams right into them. I blink and take in my surroundings. There's Maddie, sipping on her tea with her eyes still closed, looking like she just woke up too. I turn my gaze to the plane window, and instantly, my eyes widen with amazement. We're in Greece! I can see the beautiful ocean surrounded by buildings—it's like stepping into a whole new world. I can't help but gasp and break into a wide smile. Turning to Maddie, I can't contain my excitement, "Maddie! We're in Greece!" I squeal and give her a little shake. Caleb chuckles from behind at my excitement, as he hears me. i can even feel tom grinning from behind my seat.

As soon as we land and grab our suitcases, I take the lead, a never-ending smile on my face as the warm European air hits me. It's about 6 to 7 pm here, and Its still boiling hot. Looking up, there isn't a single cloud in the sky, just the orangey, pinkish sunset. Breathing in, I feel fantastic. Glancing back, I see Tom, Caleb, and Maddie walking and talking like it's a routine for them. Meanwhile, I'm over here feeling like a little kid who just got their favorite ice cream. Sure, Tom's been on a bunch of tours, but who cares? I'm the youngest, so I guess I've got an excuse to act like it. We stroll into the airport together.

After collecting our bags, we step outside, waiting for a taxi. The whole time, I can't help but stare at the friendly Greek people in awe. We hop into the taxi, Tom hands the driver some cash, and off we go to our hotel. I keep smiling, gazing out the window. The others are laughing about something, but I'm too busy taking in the sights of Greece, amazed at how different it is. It's crazy how we share one world, yet every place on it is so different. Out the window, I see a sign says "Μύκονος - Mykonos" a beautiful popular island in Greece.

"Are you excited, alex?" Caleb asks. I look at him, my smile genuine and refusing to fade. "I'm so, so, so excited," I giggle a bit. I glance at Tom in the front seat; his head turned to me with a slight smile. But when our eyes meet, he looks away. It's not a nervous look—it's like he knows he shouldn't be staring. It's weird, He was just looking at me, but with all that tension and past situations, even a simple glance feels wrong.

"So, what's the plan for tomorrow?" Maddie grins with excitement. Caleb quickly chimes in, "Beach, defienetly." I join in, saying, "Totally, I can't just wander around Greece like this. Gotta level up my tan game," and share a soft laugh. "oh my gosh same." Maddie giggles, looking at me, and then continues "I'm so excited to see the beach, its gonna be beautiful."

As we drive, my anticipation builds as I catch a glimpse of the hotel in the distance. It's a blend of modern and European charm. Its white exterior, and a perfect view of overlooking the crystal clear beach.

As our taxi comes to a stop, I unbuckle my seat belt and quickly say "thank you" to the driver. I feel like I'm In a hurry to see the place. We all step out of the vehicle and gather around the trunk to get our suitcases. Standing right behind me, is Tom, almost as if he's guarding me. his tall body hovering over me. Even though we're not touching, it sends a shiver down my spine from his presence being so close, making my heart beat faster.

With determination, I reach for my suitcase and pull it out. I can't help but feel a surge of energy for the trip.

As we step into the hotel, I'm immediately caught off guard by the beauty that surrounds me. I walk through the entrance, its grand double doors covered in patterns and a welcoming sign that reveals the hotel's name in big gold letters.

As we make our way inside, my eyes are met with a sight that takes my breath away. The lobby is tastefully decorated, with plush sofas and armchairs arranged in cozy clusters.

Next to the reception, there are big glass doors that are open to the beach, with a bar on the sand. They are pumping Greek music, I look at the Greek men serving alcohol to the drunk people staying at the hotel. It's such a vibe, it's like everyone just does what they want. About 30 meters away, there's the crystal clear water, the sunset reflecting off it. The sounds of waves crashing against the shore fills the air.

"Wow, Caleb... This hotel is so nice. It must have cost alot," I said, as I glanced at him, a hint of worry in my eyes at the thought of how much he must have spent. "Yeah, it wasn't cheap. That's why I only booked two rooms," he replied before heading off to the reception desk. "Oh," I nodded, trying to process it all as I looked around.

Wait.... Two rooms?