Two

Victoria strained her ears in a desperate but hopeless attempt to overhear the discussion between the two standing beside the parked Mercedes. The conversation between her mother and the so-called substitute driver was none of her business, and she cared less, but they had been talking for nearly three minutes and thus spawned her curiosity. She listened in closely, keeping her indifferent expression of course.

"Words can't express how grateful I am." Mrs. Bassey said with a broad smile.

"It's nothing, ma'am. I'd do anything for you and sir."

"You should stay for lunch."

"I appreciate your offer ma'am, but I must decline," Tobi said as politely as possible. Mrs. Bassey's seemingly unwavering vibrant look instantly dullened. "I have somewhere to be. Maybe next time, ma'am."

Mrs. Bassey was visibly sad from being turned down but she nodded to his excuse with a disappointed yet true smile.

"I understand dear."

Tobi returned a smile.

"Goodbye, Miss Bassey." He said to the woman behind. She stood three metres away yet her ears were beside him. Victoria didn't notice he referred to her, owing to his formal approach. She realized seconds later.

Miss? Why the formality? After all, you hadn't shown any throughout the journey back home.

She hissed.

"Give my regards to your uncle." Mrs. Bassey said as Tobi took his leave.

"Of course, ma'am." He said then made a sprint for the gate. Victoria watched him. Her mind suddenly wandered.

"Adiaha (daughter)."

Her mother's voice invaded her space of thought and she snapped back to reality. She faced the woman in front of her whose face had a smile drawn from ear to ear; her mother had never been so happy.

"I missed you so much dear."

"I missed you too, ma." She said, giving a thin smile afterward. Mrs. Bassey exhaled - her daughter hadn't changed a bit.

They proceeded towards the main entrance and two young women dressed in matching uniforms took Victoria's luggage.

"You've grown so tall." Mrs. Bassey said, breaking the minor silence. She was trying to start up a conversation. Her daughter chuckled (amazing how she could do so despite her stoic facial structure).

Must be the heels, ma.

"Your father will be so surprised." Mrs. Bassey continued and Victoria's barely noticeable smile her mother seemed contented with faded.

"He isn't home?" Victoria asked. The disappointment in her tone couldn't be missed.

"H-he had a few things to do." Mrs. Bassey added quickly, realizing her daughter's change of mood.

Victoria wasn't surprised; confused - not in the slightest, disheartened - maybe, and she blamed herself. Everything had changed from her aspect and she thought he had as well.

"Vee." Mrs. Bassey called calmly, placing a palm on her daughter's shoulder. "Your father is a busy man...it's not his fault that-"

"I understand." Victoria interposed. She shrugged lightly and proceeded into the building.

Walking away was the only way to keep sane; no more was she going to listen to the same petty excuse her mother gave for her old man, which irritated her more than the man himself.

Mrs. Bassey watched her storm inside. Victoria's stilettos seemed to be pouring out her emotions, pounding hard against the concrete floor at every step.