Three

Her weight sank into the mattress; the crisp white cotton sheet creased underneath her spread-out limbs, as well as the thick blanket meant to be a top covering she had thoughtlessly laid on when she plopped down on the bed with exhaustion. Luckily, the room was fairly cold; the possibility of catching a chill was none. She was getting all she needed - solitude; that was all that mattered to her at the moment.

Victoria's eyelids tightened. Her body concurrently drifted on waves of cotton and sunk into the bale of softness. It all felt too good to be true.

Her eyelids fluttered open, but she couldn't tell if they had stayed open as she could still see nothing - her eyes met pitch black.

Frantically, she propped herself up on both hands; her soft palms rested on the cold hard ground and they detected the sudden change. A wave of confusion washed over her.

Victoria quickly stood up and looked down on her feet; she was suddenly urged to do so. She could barely see her toes wiggle, nor anything in the dark but the chalk-white nail polish on her toenails shone dully like a dying beacon; it was enough proof that her legs hadn't disappeared, even without seeing them.

She was quick to sigh in relief, but then a realization hit; it was simply illogical to search for her legs when she could feel the cold and hard sensation of the ground underneath her soles - if it was the ground. The ceiling? The wall? Everything was the same.

It wasn't real; it couldn't be. Everything lacked sense; the sudden darkness, the hardness underneath her, the nonexistent ability to identify her whereabouts. It was a dream. There was no better explanation and she concluded the two minutes of Alice in Wonderland was a dream-it still was, and she didn't need to go down down down the rabbit hole before realizing the visible misconception.

Victoria walked forward, placing one foot in front of the other with caution. She moved with no sense of direction but felt urged to do so after realizing that the current situation she found herself in was going to end, but when?

She took bold steps into the darkness and kept walking and walking for what seemed like hours.

Every dream comes to an end when one perceives reality.

There was a sudden bright light. Victoria hissed as her eyes ached in sensitivity; it felt like she hadn't seen light in months, and oddly brought the nostalgia of being born.

Despite the thick drapes, the rays of the morning sun found a way into the room through every possible place it could seep in. It took a few seconds before Victoria's eyes could adjust to the environment and minutes for her mind to process what happened.

She propped herself up to a sitting position and leaned against the wooden headboard behind her. The base underneath her felt soft to the touch. Her eyes travelled swiftly around the room; they didn't miss her still-unpacked luggage and clothes sprawled on the rug or the half-empty bottled water and card of depressants that sat on the bedside stool.

Rest did do her good; the ache in her head reduced to a dull pain-a dull pain she could live with.

She sat still on the bed for seconds staring at the large wardrobe in front of her, still dazed about what happened, and then it dawned on her that she hadn't seen her phone since she woke up and broke into a frantic search. It turned out she had crashed on the bed with her phone onboard. Luckily, it didn't suffer any damage underneath her weight.

Victoria and her phone were like 5-n-6; it didn't technically mean she couldn't do without it-she could, owing to the (according to her) parasitic friends she had, but it kept her company more than anyone ever could.