Part 5

CASSIE

"What are you doing? People are staring," I protested, trying to wrestle my hands from his firm grip, but it was like wrestling with a brick wall. Curious onlookers were openly casting their eyes our way.

"Let them stare," he retorted, his tone icy and angry.

"Caleb. He's still inside. I have to go back," I insisted, feeling his grip tighten as he pulled me along, trying to match his strides.

I was scared. I could feel the anger radiating off him, the heat rising with every step toward the elevator at the back of the mall, leading to the basement. We were walking quickly, attracting more stares.

Jake ignored my pleas, dragging me forcefully. All I could do was match his speed, avoiding eye contact with anyone who dared to watch us pass. Finally, we reached the elevator.

"Why are you doing this? What will Caleb think?" I protested as he practically shoved me inside.

"Do I look like I fucking care what the boy thinks?!" Jake snapped, his voice cutting through the air.

"But I care! I was with him, not you!" I craned my neck to level our eyes, upset. "You can't just pull me away from my date like that."

"And let you eat each other's faces," he retorted, his eyes narrowing, an anger I'd never seen before.

"That doesn't give you the right, Jake. You embarrassed him," I argued, but he ignored me, continuing with his determined strides.

"Fasten your seatbelt," he ordered grimly after forcing me into the passenger seat.

"This is ridiculous. I'm having my first date, and you ruined it."

The door slammed shut, followed by the growl of the engine as he sped out of the basement. I couldn't understand his actions; it was ludicrous of him to have done that to Caleb.

Since he wasn't talking, I grabbed my phone and dialed Caleb's number. "Hey?" I started when he picked up. Jake's knuckles turned white as he snatched my phone. "What the fuck is wrong with you?!"

Expressionless, his eyes remained fixed on the road. He said nothing, fueling my irritation.

"Fuck you," I spat, my voice barely above a whisper. His growl echoed, or maybe it was my own sound threatening to emerge. I was so upset. So upset.

Looking out the window, I noticed we weren't headed toward my home but his place. My heart skipped a beat, my stomach doing a flip.

The car pulled into Jake's driveway, and I was more confused. Why were we at his place? He didn't want me here, right? The engine cut off. Jake remained stoic, his grip on the steering wheel showing no signs of loosening. He took a deep breath, the muscles on his chest and arms flexing. It was as if he was trying to calm down.

And then, he let out a heavy sigh, his grip on the wheel softening slightly. "Why did you message me, Cassie?" but he wasn't looking at me. "If you didn't want me to ruin your date, why did you message me?"

What should I say? "Because I thought...you should know. But I realized after that...that you didn't have to know. This is my life. I can do what I want, and I can date whoever I want," I replied, attempting to sound brave despite the confusion swirling inside me. "And you? Why did you do that? You embarrassed Caleb."

"The room was dark. He could turn the phone down and pretend it wasn't his. Easy."

"You're ridiculous. You can't just hack people's phones and do lewd things in them, Jake," I shot back, angry. Unfastening the seatbelt, I grabbed the handle to open the car, but it was locked.