Part 7

CASSIE

Sasha made a snorting sound, her eyes adorned with pretty long lashes, rolled to the roof. "If I knew, you would only sulk at home, Cass. Tonight's a good night to have fun. The examination has ended, and we're free for the whole week. 

"But I'm tired. I need sleep," I said, glancing at my phone where there were no messages or calls from Jake. The hurt simmered beneath the surface, threatening to spill over.

"No 'buts,' Cassie. You need to get out of your head. Let loose. Have a little fun. You need a distraction, something to take your mind off the mess with Jake. Maybe a night out with Carl or Caleb would help." She grinned and I nodded, offering her a small smile.

"You won't believe it, but I'm telling you I'm okay, really. Two days? I got over it, Sash. Believe me. Why don't you go with Carl and Caleb instead? It will be fun." I raised a brow before giving her a challenging look. She blushed. "You think I didn't notice, huh?" 

"What? Notice what?" her eyes looked innocently defensive. 

I grinned playfully. "You're trying to push Caleb and Carl to me when in fact you are attracted to both of them." 

She gasped, faking an incredulous look on her face. "No, I am not. They wanted to date you, you know that."

 I chuckled, seeing through her act. "They wanted to date me but they desire you. I could feel it, Sasha. They like you."

Sasha's eyes widened, and then she burst into laughter. "Cass, you've got a wild imagination. They're just friends. Besides, you're the one who needs a distraction tonight, not me."

I shook my head. "Come on, Sash. Admit it. You're the one trying to set me up, and I appreciate it, really, but I'm not blind. They both have a thing for you. Come to think about it, when I went with Caleb that night, what exactly did you feel, huh?"

She crossed her arms, a playful defiance in her tone. "Tonight is about you having a good time, not me."

"What if I tell you we kissed? Caleb and I kissed."

I saw her chest rise as she gasped sharply, her eyes glinted with something I could describe as jealousy. "Drop it, Cass. I'm done with this."

"Don't you see it? We've all been friends for a few years now, although not that close, and they knew I liked someone else, but they tried to hit on me because they knew I wouldn't fall for it. That way they can make you jealous, and their secret's safe." 

Sasha's eyes narrowed, and her jaw clenched. "You're making this up. They wouldn't do that."

I raised an eyebrow. "Oh, come on, Sash. You can't be that naive. They've been playing this game, and I'm tired of it. And now, I'm flipping the script."

Sasha shook her head, blushing even more. "This is ridiculous, Cass. You're overthinking everything."

 "I'm helping you overthink it, so now, who's it gonna be? Carl? Caleb?"

And speaking of the devils...

"I heard my name," Caleb butt in, making Sasha stiffen like a stick. 

"Mine too," Carl grouched, taking a seat across from me. His tousled hair showed he had taken a nap somewhere. 

I couldn't help but grin at their timing. "Perfect, you guys. I'll leave Sasha to you."

Sasha's eyes widened, her cheeks flushing a deep shade of red. "What? Cassie, stop this nonsense."

I walked out of the coffee shop, giving a casual wave over my shoulders. Sasha would be fine. She was with two guys who were both interested in her. And for the record, Caleb had forgiven me that night. We had our talk, and he also confessed to me that it was Sasha whom he actually liked. Complicating matters, he knew his friend Carl liked Sasha too.