one

CHAPTER ONE

The machine hum was my best friend. The whirling noise, clanging in the distance and the constant buzzing, like electricity going through my mind was a constant. I layed on the floor of the too small confinement room, eyes closed pretending the floor beneath me was warm sand from the sun rather than cold metal that surrounded me completely.

If I counted the days right, my 20th birthday was yesterday and my body relaxed at the fact I will finally leave this room, well this life. But they were a day late and that didn't help with overthinking. My head had started hurting around five or six hours ago from racking my brain to find the reason they're late for the execution.

Maybe I was wrong, maybe the tally lines at all the walls were counted wrong. I couldn't have messed up the days though, the lights turned of like clockwork here. But still, I can't be a hundred percent sure I counted right, there were a lot of tally marks and well missing a day is completely possible. Maybe I missed the ones under the metal bed that I pushed to the other side, around half a year ago when the space on the walls and floor were limited.

"Prisoner 303", the door abruptly opened, two Ark guards stomped inside. The machine hum felt like it disappeared, but the buzzing grew louder at the harsh sound before turning down to the same frequency it was always at. "get up and face the wall." one of them said as I peaked through my left eye.

Watching between their legs I tried to see what exactly was going on behind those doors, but my vision was a bit blurry from squeezing my eyes and I groggily got up from the floor and faced the wall.

"Am I twenty today?" The question comes out raspy and gruff - I hadn't spoken for two days if I'm right, I'd thought it would've sounded worse. They don't answer my question, but I know I'm right. They wouldn't be here otherwise. And I doubt they're taking me to Earth Skills since they hadn't taken me for the last two days.

One of the guards lowered my left hand, clasping a metal bracelet around my wrist. I hissed at contact, wiping my head to the left. "A little warning next time.", I mutter under my breath before the guard grabbed my shirt from the back and yanked me towards the door, slightly pushing me to walk.

I always wondered what I'd feel the day they would come for hme but it was like all the feelings were left behind in that little room. I didn't even feel empty, just nothing. All I could was think the whole three years I was here yet now not one single thought came to mind.

Stepping out of that room was like stepping into another world. The Sky Box was alive. Guards were leading all of the prisoners only God knows where.

Right across from her cell, on the other side Miller, stole his beanie back just in time and stuffed it in his pocket. Miller, the thief. A small smirk played on my lips at the boy, but quickly turned into a scowl when the guards pushed me to our right. "Keep walking."

"Go Murphy!", someone yelled on the lower deck, all the prisoners from across took a look and I eagerly rushed to the railing, took a step on the first one and leaned over as far as I could go to see what my friend is doing this time. "Murphy wooo!" People kept yelling and hollering.

I could only see some commotion, before a guard pushed him on the railing, Murphy leaned on it as far as he could go, trying to avoid getting tazzed. "Causing trouble before you go?", I yell over the chatter and footsteps and the boy looked up at me a smile forming on his lips.

"See you on the other side, RJ!", he winked just before the guard pulled him back, another guard doing the same to me. "That's enough.", he muttered as I stumbled over my own feet when he pushed me once again. It didn't take long before I was hauled inside what looked like just another room to me. Noticing the chairs against the walls, I presumed that we were in fact in a dropship of sorts. The guard that was leading me, showed me into a seat on the second floor, strapping me down.