Chapter Thirteen

Shifty tried his best not to drop the baby from his constant squirming and twisting. The baby was extremely persistent that it eventually struck a nerve in Shifty, " Can i throw him?"

" What?" Handy was stunned, unsure what respond could be appropriate to give, " Just- let him go. He can walk on his own." The other guy stopped like he heard a shocking news, " He can? You should've told me sooner." Handy waited for Shifty to release Cub. Small feet touched the concrete of the walkway as the little critter seemed jubilant now that he was freed from the adult's grasp.

The two adults watched Cub taking careful and steady steps. Shifty stare at him a little longer before telling Handy his thoughts, " You're calling this a walk? This kid can't even support himself." Handy tilt his head to face him, " Then do you prefer him crying?" Cub proudly took two steps the moment Handy finished his sentence.

" Aside from how slow he is, you were being a douchebag to her." Handy took this chance to talk to him that was not relevant to Cub. That interaction they had with Petunia back at the street was hard to be ignored. A small part of Handy was curious about their unique dynamic. Shifty fixed his coat, a habit he does every time he gets uneasy, " I tend to be a douchebag to everyone i talk to."

Handy sighed, his answer was expected, " Can't deny to that." They both were now paying attention to each other, unlikely to draw away from one's presence. " Seems like you two have a history." Handy was quick with his conclusion. With just a look, Shifty understood what he meant by history, he let out a low chuckle as Handy never cease to amaze him, " Was me and Petunia that obvious?" 

A small shrug was received, " Maybe, I know a bunch of exes fought like that." Before he decided to moved into Happy Tree, he'd seen people dealt with relationship dramas. Most of them were childish and straight up ridiculous to him. Because some of them took place when he was in high school. While others happened during his early 20s. He can easily spot them from how many people who came up to him to rant about their partner's flaws.

" We weren't serious, broke up because we got bored with each other." Shifty spoke openly about it as if he only saw his ex relationship as frivolous. Handy nodded, a bit bitter as he listened to it. As rude as this sounds, how did Petunia got together with this guy? Handy been yearning to be with Petunia for some time now, and knowing this information sounded unreal to him. The most questionable about this was what caused them to start dating back then?

Handy only found more questions than answers at his end. " You seemed jealous." Shifty suddenly said, hands returned to his pockets. Whatever expression he had just now, somehow was able for Shifty to read him like a book. Handy shook his head, tempting to wipe that annoying grinned he has, " Why would i be jealous when you two aren't together anymore?" 

He gave a solid point. Yet, that grinned didn't disappear. Handy being defensive made him snickered, " You're funny. I like talking to you."

Handy brows furrowed, flustered by his nonsense, " You're terrible."

A scowl on his face took a pleasure from Shifty. He enjoys toying with his temper ever since they shared their first interaction. He was at least mindful enough not to push too hard on him though, he's very aware how capable he can knock him out with one swing.

Suddenly, he felt his tail caught on to something. The movement of his tail became constrictive as he tried to sway it. Confused, Shifty twisted his upper body and looked down to seek the trouble here. Handy quietly stare, also puzzled by this.

Shifty winced when he saw the slight issue. He shuffled slightly for Handy to look and was surprised to discover Cub grabbing onto his tail. His arms wrapped around the end of it, burying his face into it's fluffiness. Handy was slightly baffled and tried to stifle a smile. His irritation was quick to evaporated the moment he saw the baby.