Chapter 1 Aiden

Aiden Rivers stood at the edge of a clearing, the dense forest swallowing up the last remnants of daylight. The sun dipped low beneath the horizon, casting long shadows over the carpet of fallen leaves that crunched beneath his feet. The air was crisp and cool, carrying with it the earthy scent of moss and damp soil. A lone bird sang its evening song from a nearby tree, but other than that, an eerie silence hung heavily in the atmosphere, making the isolation outside the town of Bane's Ridge all the more palpable.

"Damn, not again," he muttered under his breath, amber eyes scanning the area for any signs of game. His stomach growled in protest, reminding him of the hours he'd spent stalking prey to no avail. The frustration gnawed at him like a persistent itch he couldn't quite reach, exacerbating the dull ache he felt deep within his bones.

"Of all the things I could have inherited," Aiden thought bitterly, "why did it have to be this?" He clenched his fists, nails biting into his palms as he remembered the first time he had tried to shift - and failed.

"Focus," he told himself, drawing in a deep breath. It wasn't just the inability to shift that weighed on him; it was the shame and rejection that came with it, the whispers behind his back and the sideways glances whenever he passed by. He had been marked as different, a pariah in a world where conformity was key. A werewolf who couldn't become a wolf was an anomaly, something to be shunned and cast aside. And so he had been. He had been made to leave all he knew, friends, family, home.

"Maybe it's for the best," Aiden mused as he turned away from the clearing, feeling the cold wind brush against his sun-kissed golden hair. He had learned to rely on his wits and resourcefulness to survive; traits that had served him well in his solitary existence. And yet, there was a part of him that still yearned for something more, a connection he couldn't quite put into words.

"Perhaps one day," he whispered, stepping back into the forest and leaving his footprints behind. But for now, Aiden Rivers would continue to walk the lonely path that fate had laid out before him, a werewolf without a pack - or a true sense of self.

Aiden awoke to the sound of leaves rustling in the wind, and the distant hum of the nearby river. He opened his amber eyes slowly, listening carefully for any unfamiliar sounds that could signal danger. Solitude had made him cautious, always on guard against unexpected threats.

"Another day," he whispered to himself, stretching his limbs and rising from his bed. The early morning light filtered through the trees, casting dappled patterns on the forest floor. Although the sun was barely visible, Aiden's wolf-like senses allowed him to see better than any human would in this dim light.

His stomach growled, reminding him of the first task of the day: finding food. Hunting had become second nature to him over the years, and his keen senses were an advantage when tracking prey. His daily routine involved checking the various snares he'd set up throughout his territory, hoping to catch rabbits or other small game.

"Trust no one but yourself," Aiden muttered under his breath. It was a mantra he repeated often, ever since his exile from his family and pack. He remembered how they had turned their backs on him, refusing to accept what they deemed an aberration. This painful memory fueled his determination to survive on his own, to prove them wrong.

As he moved silently through the woods, Aiden sensed the presence of another werewolf nearby. He hesitated for a moment, considering whether he should approach or keep his distance. His innate caution won out, and he continued on his path, avoiding any chance of confrontation.

"Can't afford to make any more enemies," Aiden thought grimly. He knew all too well the dangers of trusting others, especially those who shared his bloodline. He had learned that lesson the hard way, and now chose to rely only on himself.

Despite his reluctance to engage with others, there was a part of Aiden that longed for companionship. He often found himself wondering if there were others like him, outcasts who had been shunned by their own kind. But the risk of betrayal was too great, and so he kept his distance.

"Maybe one day," Aiden mused as he checked a snare and found it empty. "But not today." With a sigh, he reset the snare and moved on to the next one, his feet treading softly on the forest floor.

His resilience and resourcefulness had allowed him to adapt to this solitary existence, but the weight of loneliness still hung heavy on his shoulders. For now, Aiden Rivers would continue to navigate the path set before him - a half-wolf, walking alone in the shadows.

As the sun dipped below the horizon, casting an eerie glow on the dense forest, Aiden Rivers stood at the edge of a clearing, his amber eyes reflecting the last light of day. His sun-kissed golden hair framed his face, giving him an almost ethereal appearance that belied the inner turmoil that roiled beneath the surface.

"Who am I?" he whispered, his voice barely audible as it was carried away by the wind. "I don't belong with the humans, but I can't shift like my own kind." The frustration in his words was palpable, hanging in the air like a heavy fog. He clenched his fists, trying to tamp down the storm of emotions that threatened to consume him.

"Hey!" a sudden voice called out from behind him, making Aiden tense up and spin around in alarm. He hadn't sensed anyone nearby, and the realization that someone had managed to approach him undetected sent a shiver down his spine.

"Didn't mean to startle you," the stranger said, holding his hands up in a placating gesture. He appeared to be human, but something in his eyes told Aiden there was more to this man than met the eye.

"Who are you?" Aiden asked cautiously, his wolf instincts urging him to maintain a safe distance.

The stranger's piercing blue eyes met Aiden's guarded gaze, a warm smile spread across his face. "Name's Cole," he introduced himself, the sound of his voice like a soothing melody. His rugged appearance suggested a life on the road, and his easy demeanor hinted at a carefree attitude. "I was just passing through," he explained, as if sensing Aiden's curiosity. The faint scent of campfire clung to him, mingling with the crisp mountain air.

Cole moved off continuing into the forest. Aiden watched him for a moment as he continued to travel on. The loneliness of his existence made all the more stark be this chance encounter with another being.

Aiden's breaths materialized as puffs of white vapor in the crisp morning air. He stood with his back to the rising sun, his amber eyes scanning the dense forest before him. Despite his inability to shift, Aiden's senses remained sharp and attuned to the natural world around him.

He sniffed the air, picking up traces of a nearby deer. Crouching low, he moved silently through the undergrowth, his sun-kissed golden hair catching stray beams of sunlight. As he approached the unsuspecting animal, a sudden memory jolted him back to his past.

"Remember, Aiden," the shaman said repeating the words of the Goddess, "You are not mine, you belong to another. You are not one of the people, but you are not rogue."

The dream of that fateful night still haunted him, a constant reminder of his banishment from the pack. His isolation weighed heavily on him, and yet he had learned to adapt to this life of solitude.

Shaking off the memory, Aiden focused back on the hunt. Focusing on his bow he nocked an arrow, aimed and released, his arrow found its mark, and the deer crumpled to the ground. He approached the animal, offering a silent prayer of gratitude for the sustenance it would provide.

As Aiden worked to skin and butcher the deer, his thoughts drifted to the small cabin he had built with his own two hands. Nestled among the trees, it was a monument to his resilience and resourcefulness. Though it was modest and simple, it was his sanctuary, a place where he could be himself without fear of judgment or rejection.

"Your connection to the natural world is strong," the Shaman's words rang in his ears, "But it is not enough to make you one of us."

Despite the ache in his heart, Aiden refused to let his exile define him. He had found strength in his connection to the forest and its inhabitants, and this bond helped him endure the loneliness that often threatened to consume him.

Thank you for reading, please comment and vote!  I would love to hear your opinion on this first part of my story.