Chapter 2

Hey guys! Thanks for all those votes on Chapter 1! I'm sorry I didn't update this, because I couldn't open Wattpad and I was busy with my other writings, and I released another part for  "Demigods in Facebook".

Also this chapter was inspired by Marissa Meyer's Lunar Chronicles. They're some good books; check them out.

Enjoy <3

******

James' POV:

What have he done? He knew that he wasn't able to share Augustine his...hospitality.

His home was a small shed in the woods behind the creek. He had no parents. His father went to sea when he was small, and he never came back. His mother died straight after his birth. He was on his own since 3 years old. Not to mention the training with...

Oh. How was he supposed to explain that?

But Karina mentioned "alpha". It meant the pack was supposedly alive.

Of course, in wolf terms, he left for a long time. Maybe too long. He wouldn't be the official Alpha anymore.

But he had brothers by his side.

Did it really matter?

Focus on the thing you're facing now, James. Calm down. It's a fatal flaw for you.

He struggled to haul Augustine. His heart felt like lead.

Augustine was always nice to him, and she was the only girl he got along with. Her long red curls bounced in his arms.

"We're almost there," he muttered to Augustine, though he doubt she could hear.

"That's great."

To his surprise, she answered. Her lips moved. He could feel her breathing.

Gods, that girl was strong. She could stand a blow that even one of the deltas and betas couldn't stand.

But there was no female Alpha. At least, not yet.

The more he thought about it, the more he thought it was true. The pack was back. And they were hunting for him.

He tossed those thoughts away and leapt from the rocks, barged in the shed, and placed Augustine as tenderly as he could on his bed.

She sighed in her sleep and turned over. James scampered around his small shed, lighting up the fireplace and throwing extra wood inside.

The wood crackled. James hurried to get his first-aid kit, and bandaged Augustine's wounds.

"Whoa," he muttered. "Karina wasn't just a manticore. She was Manticore. The Manticore."

The story of Manticore terrified the ears of his brothers when they were young. Their thaumaturge, Thaumaturge Jale, stared at their eyes when he used to talk about the story.

Manticore, king of all manticores, used to be the terror of all wolves and humans combined. And of course James and his pack. Supposedly he had disappeared off the coast of Thethus millennia ago. But now, he was back. And the pack was alive.

Both of them were hunting for him.

But his skills as a wolf would never change.

James could never forget the day when they arrived at his home, took him away from his brothers. Just like that, he was at the Royal Palace.

The Queen's face was blurry, but one thing for sure: her cold and regal gaze could never be forgotten. The way she flicked her fingers. Her mouth moved. The only sentence he could remember was: