Chapter 3

Hey y'all!

It's me Daria and I'm back to update. If you followed me on Quora, you'll probably know that I went on a vacation so I'm incredibly sorry that I haven't updated my stories and all.

I reread Chapter 1 and 2 and edited the story details, so I'm sure it's better now.

With that said, enjoy!

******

Augustine's POV:

Augustine shifted in her sleep. She dreamed of standing in a dark cave. Evil laughter echoed off the walls.

"The future female Alpha is here, my mistress."

"Ah, yes. You shall leave now, Thaumaturge."

A shuffle of footsteps. The click of heels against the ground.

Suddenly, an invisible force grabbed Augustine and pulled her forward.

"She has strong senses...a perfect match. But, that treacherous Alpha Beckett must be caught. If the Search is correct...the plan can go on. Chief Halon is easily deceived," someone murmured.

Wake, the nearby ghosts chanted, you must wake!

"Ah," the second voice crooned, "A trespasser! You are going to be punished, severely. I mustn't have anybody spying on us!"

Augustine sensed a hand moving her direction. She managed to duck, but the pain was getting more intense this moment.

Suddenly, she opened her eyes. She was in some sort of a shed. Next to her, James was bandaging her arm, and he covered her in blankets.

"Take your blankets with you; don't move. Augustine, I am very, very sorry."

"Where am I?" she demanded.

"I didn't want to tell you, but this is my...home. Where I live, at least."

She softened. "Oh, James. Why didn't you tell me? How could you carry all that burden by yourself?"

He frowned. "This is the least of the problems. You'll be safe here. Just you and me."

Just you and me. That was exactly what Augustine wanted to hear.

"What happened?"

"Try to stand up, and I'll give further explanations."

James didn't say anything else as he stood up and tended to the fire.

Augustine struggled to stand – her heart felt like lead. All those times...she thought James was a rich kid. After all, only celebrities could afford her school. But with James working hard to support his life and pay the tuition fee for school...gods, she couldn't imagine how James survived.

James looked at her with those understanding blue eyes. "I see you've got your doubts. But seriously, Augustine. You are intelligent. You can tell I'm different, correct?"

"Yeah, but..."

"Sit down on the armchair, Aug. I'll start with a story."

She dragged her blanket with her, slid into the comfy chair, and sighed contentedly. "You can start, James."

"You see, when I was little, I was captured by this...queen."

"There are no queens now, James."

"You know the Bermuda triangle, right? Every time morals try to pass through it they can't. Some boat's gonna disappear. Some airplane's gonna vanish. That's because there's a kingdom there, Augustine. Erm, not in the Sea of Monsters, of course, but that's another story for another time. Anyways, the kingdom is named Poseidio, which is named after Poseidon, the Greek god of the ocean and horses. The ruler is a queen named...Anavel. Even from here, we try not to evoke her name. Names have power. They are dangerous."