Episode 3: Part Two

"Inevitably," Silent Continued. "We'll need to disarm any explosive devices that Sister Nature might have. That's where SteelStar comes in."

SteelStar blinked, "Me?"

"Yes, you," said Silent. "I have word from your father that you can absorb electricity from electronic devices."

"Yeah, but it's limited," said SteelStar nervously. "If I pull from, say, a power socket, I might pull from that room or sometimes the house, depending on the wiring, but that won't be much. I'd need to draw directly from a huge power source to restore all my energy if it comes to that, and I never have one available."

"That's fine," said Silent. "All we need you to do is absorb the electricity from the batteries in the detonators, and you can effectively defuse the bomb without even opening it up. Trust me. Your powers will be crucial for this mission."

SteelStar felt nervous and then felt more nervous when he realized that everyone in the room was looking at him.

No pressure, he thought.

###

SteelStar, still at U.H.E. headquarters, knocked on an office labeled, "Garret Stone."

"Come in!"

SteelStar entered to find attorney Garret Stone sitting at his desk.

"SteelStar," said Garret, surprised. "Is there something I can help you with?"

"Yeah," said SteelStar. "I submitted the paperwork for my half of the bounty reward on Draego a few weeks ago."

Garret frowned, "Surely they didn't deny your claim?"

"No," said SteelStar. "I haven't heard anything from them at all."

Garrett sighed, "All right, I'll make a few calls. Before I do that, where did you submit the application?"

"The bounty office in my city."

Garrett nodded, "Yeah, that bounty office probably has to file paperwork through the E.H.O.D.."

SteelStar grimaced and looked away, "Of course it does."

"Don't worry," said Garrett. "As a superhero who assisted in the capture of a dangerous supervillain, you are legally entitled to half the financial reward for his capture. Since you passed your review, they have no standing to deny it. The E.H.O.D. is probably just dragging its heels, prolonging the paperwork as long as it can. As I said, I'll make a few calls and try to get that expedited. The next time you submit bounty paperwork, do it with the U.H.E. office in your city."

SteelStar felt stupid, "Why didn't I think of that?"

"You'd be surprised how few people do think of it," said Garrett. "Don't beat yourself up."

SteelStar felt he couldn't help but beat himself up.

"Say," said SteelStar. "What are the requirements for official U.H.E. membership?"

"Thinking about a U.H.E. salary?"

SteelStar sighed, "I mean, I've always wanted to join anyway. I wouldn't even ask about the salary if I wasn't having so much trouble on my own."

Garrett nodded, "Well, the first step is a joint mission with one or more official members. You've got that covered already. If that goes well, then there's a three month probationary period where you continue to take missions with us, and at the end of that, if one or more members vouch for you, then the U.H.E. Board will deliberate and decide if you get a full membership."