Episode Four: Part Seven

As the Iron Eagle sped through the sky, it banked towards a mountain range. Its jet engines flared and roared, pushing the ship to top speed. The ship aimed itself directly at tight passages that demanded maneuverability.

From the bridge of the Iron Eagle, Ironmind contacted the others. "Goldarms, Coppershot. Status report."

"Almost done," said Goldarms. "Just a few more tweaks."

"Well, hurry up. Enemy fighters are almost here."

"Just a minute."

"He's got this, captain," said Silverwing reassuringly. "Don't worry."

Ironmind took a deep breath. "Silverwing, go ahead and activate advanced pilot mode."

"Roger," she replied.

Silverwing grabbed the controls and pressed a button on the side. A moment later, several mechanical parts started moving. The controls split apart into two joysticks, one in either hand. Panels slid up from the floor to reveal two slots for Silverwing's boots. The joysticks raised up, bringing Silverwing to a stand, while her feet clanged as they were magnetically slotted into place.

By using two joysticks in either hand and pushing against the panels she stood on, Silverwing had much greater control of the Iron Eagle than she would over an ordinary craft. She could slide the panels beneath her back and forward, as well as tilt them left or right. So was now ready for battle, and her eyes looked forward at the mountains with fierce determination.

"Ready to go, captain," said Silverwing.

"Goldarms," said Ironmind into his communicator, his tone stern.

"Just one more thing," said Goldarms. "Coppershot's already heading to her gun."

"Fair enough," said Ironmind. "Goldshift, you ready?"

"Yes, Captain," said Goldshift, looking over a radar in front of him.

Ironmind stood and left the bridge, making his way to a ladder that led up. He climbed the ladder, the metal clanking against his hands and feet as he reached a seat with controls and a screen. Sitting down, the seat magnetized him in place as he activated the console. Above the ship, a gun extended from a sliding trap door, a giant rotary gun that Ironmind controlled via the interface before him. Gripping the controls, Ironmind watched for enemy ships, his eyes stoic and alert.

At the same time, Coppershot reached another ladder going down. Placing herself into a similar interface, she activated a gun underneath the ship. Scowling, Coppershot gripped the control handles tightly, scanning the horizon for enemy ships.

Last, but not least, Goldarms tightened one more bolt with his wrench as he grimaced from the effort. Now fished, he closed the machine he was working on, put the wrench down, and then ran to the rear of the engine room. He climbed a third ladder, reaching an interface that controlled the final gun. This gun extended from the rear of the roof, giving the user a view behind the ship, the rear jets in full view. Also in view were several objects flying towards them.

"This is Goldarms," he said. "I'm in place, and I have visual contact with the enemy. I see five vehicles, but they're too far off to make out."

As Goldarms watched the ships approach, he could just barely see the flashes of something being fired.

"Weapons fire incoming," he added.

On the bridge, Goldshift looked over the radar and relayed, "Twelve projectiles total. Scanner says they're heat seekers," said Goldshift.

"Can we get to the mountains before they reach us?" asked Ironmind.