VII. All Comes After

Naya sat on one chair around the rectangular table

Naya sat on one chair around the rectangular table. She can't help but blow a sigh. She's with her college friends she used to envy for a couple of years. Heaven knows why she cut ties with everyone back then, including her closest friends. Everyone grew successful as civil engineers while it took her four years and five tries, a long time going here and there. While her friends and classmates posts their achievements, as site engineers, project engineers, office engineers and others with their housing projects and other high-rise buildings they did, she was just there, existing.

Luckily, the most recent Civil Engineering Licensure Examination smiled at her and she passed it. It took her a while, but she did it.

After four years of her friend trying to reach her, finally she accepted her invitation to attend this small party her friend, Gianna, organized.

"Congratulations!" Gianna hugged her tight. Naya can't help but hug her back.

"Thank you." She muttered.

"We have a surprise for you," Gianna's words had Naya wondering. But she just brushed it off. "But it will be for later. For now, cheers!"

Gianna handed her a glass of mixed drinks which she gladly accepted. Gianna then held her glass up high and the others did it too.

"Cheers!" Naya did the gesture and drank the drink in one gulp. The liquid draw a menthol line on her throat but she's already used to such things.

"He's here!" Everyone cheered and stood up to greet the newcomer. But Naya sat still on her position. It was her everyday thing not to join a commotion if it doesn't involve her potential investors.

She put another shot of mixed drinks on her glass and gulped it in one go.

The crowd went silent when someone pulled a chair beside her and sat there.

"Hey," a familiar voice greeted Naya. The very same scent filled her nose. As she looked up, she found the very same eyes that always draws her lost into.

"Hey," she answered as she drank another gulp then stared at the newcomer. "Long time no see Maria," she smiled. But not as wide and as brought as the smile she usually gave him before.

"Yeah, long time no see," Marco uttered. She can barely hear him because of the music. Undescribable silence filled the tiny distance between them.

"Why aren't you, two, talking?" Tariana looked at them, pointing fingers. "Are you two having lover's quarrel?" She smiled sheepishly and Naya knows what's happening.

Naya was fast to shake her head with her hands in front of her, "No, of course not. Why will we be?"

A suspicious stare from Tariana envelopes the two. She sat straight infront of them and starts asking questions.

"So what's up?" Tariana asked.

"Nothing much," Naya's answer with her tone is dismissive but Tariana is hard headed.