Goodbye, family

Goodbye, family

Looking back, the days seemed like hours and the hours seemed like emotions clustered in an empty space deep inside taking shape in our consciousness. A week of "freedom", wasn't that what we were looking for? Believe me! It's a question we kept asking ourselves over and over again. We left our home with a carefree mind and got back with a commitment that was beyond our age and responsibility. Uncertainty, anguish, surprise and patience changed our perception of ourselves in a matter of days. Three ordinary youngsters who asked for nothing more than trust from their parents had achieved apparently simple experiences in the company of four subjects who taught us that the ordinary isn't even what we assume to be ordinary, on the contrary, it is what happens every day without us realizing it; what we don't allow ourselves to know is as common as you and me. Ideas and unanswered questions were the ones taking away my sleep at night.

The morning reached us silently. The calmness in the atmosphere accelerated the anguish. I awoke last as usual. Finding them gathered in the parlor, I felt out of place: Jake had become the fifth guardian in charge of Jhon's care and I, well, I was still the young Burston family member accompanying them. I was unaware of my true role in the group; however, I later realized that it wasn't a position, for even Jake didn't know what his real purpose as a guardian was.

When they saw me, they got up; Jhon was at the front, the guardians escorted him outside. I hurried and caught up.

Even outside Hendor's shelter, I had a strong feeling that the reaction of my parents and uncles was about to put a major kink in Hendor's plans. The Sebian had been sure from the beginning that Jhon would accept his overtures, but not that Jake and I would end up included in the journey as well.

The sun was peeking out cheerlessly, and the crests of the trees were hardly moving. It was the first time I had seen the forest so quiet and still. Serene. The mischievous birds remained in their hiding places joined in the morning of our farewell without singing as usual. It was very strange to see them so quiet in the midst of so many doubts to discuss.

Jake and Jhon had already mounted their horses and next to them Mostro was standing still and waiting. I didn't feel like riding, I-Eslam volunteered to take care of Mostro so I took the opportunity to walk with the guardians. We left the forest, and our way home began.

—Wow! —I can't believe just over fifteen years ago we would walk this road every day. I'll miss The Prey indeed... and all of Viena.

—Like it was yesterday, wasn't it, sister?

—Yesterday indeed! Last night I forgot to appreciate the beauty of this land, but now... Don't you find it strange, brother, to know that we'll be back soon?

—Finally! At last! Don't get me wrong, but I can't tell you how much I miss my training.

—That makes two of us, friend! —Hendor answered Kroto as he snapped his fingers. —I wonder how my family has been while I'm gone.

—I bet they haven't even noticed it.

—And I bet Master Cliaro has grown younger without you.

—You bet, Hendor. —Aridya scoffed. —Kroto was driving my father down the path of madness.

—What have you missed the most, Lamy?

—My children, my wife... my family! I long so much to be with them again!

—I feel badly indebted... It's my fault you've been away from home for so long.