Chapter Seven

"Can you believe that she said yes?" Someone hushes right by the entrance of the kitchen room

I don't know why, but my steps falter and I am rooted right outside, hidden by a wall. I don't recognize the voice right away until someone else speaks. Then, it all clicks and my heart sinks.

Someone snorts. "I know. I'm actually surprised Carter wanted to propose to her." Complete and utter annoyance and disapproval filter through her tone. Her voice is like venom that could destroy anyone.

My nails dig into my palm, leaving a stingy mark on it. My jaw clenches as I lean forward and try to catch more of what they're talking about.

Normally, I would strut into the room to have them shut down. As much as they love to spread nasty rumors about me, they can never tell them to my face. Besides, it's better to only hear a bit of the poisonous words and stop them right away. I don't allow their nasty gossip to put me down.

But today, I don't feel powerful. I don't feel like showing I'm oblivious to the hurtful words or that I'm unbothered.

The fact that I feel insecure in my own engagement is bad enough. That same insecurity is urging me to stay and eavesdrop on them. It's a loud voice in the back of my head, egging me on to listen to their disapproval. Maybe it might make me understand why I'm suddenly so hesitant about marrying Carter. Why it is so wrong.

"Do you think now that she's going to marry Carter, she's going to stop sleeping with the boss?"

Another snort echoes and lands on my chest like a blow. "Please. I doubt it. She's probably after a higher position. Of course she's not going to stop fucking the boss. Not now that she has him wrapped around her little finger and can get anything just by glancing at him."

"I mean," Someone butts in. "I would also fuck Ryder Lockhart if given the chance."

"Yeah, honey. I'm sure no one would pass on the chance to lick him. But it's disgusting that she uses him while also cheating on her boyfriend. Like, where are your values? Some people have no shame at all."

My eyes are prickling by the end of it. My stomach twists until I feel like I'm about to throw up.

If I stay here for another second, I'm sure I'm going to puke. Instead, I push myself off the wall—I didn't realize I have slumped against it—and swallow hard. It's hard since a thigh knot is lodged in my throat.

My blood is boiling, but not from anger but shame.

I don't know how I manage to walk back to my desk, but by the time I reach it, I slump on my seat and breathe hard.

My heart is pounding against my chest as I fight back the tears.

I hate it. I seriously hate it all.

The desperation that has been clawing at me since I got engaged is stronger. I want to peel off my skin. I feel like I can't stand my body right now.

I close my eyes and focus on my breathing.