𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐍𝐄: 𝐑𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

"Rubi, I don't think you understand," I begin, multi-tasking talking to my friend, and finishing the final touches on my hero gear sketch.

"Don't understand WHAT?" My friend responds sassily, stubborn as always.

I wish she could see me rolling my eyes right now.

Instead, I let out an annoyed sigh, nearly breaking my pencil from how hard I was pressing down onto the paper, "I'm not going to the Entrance Exam, Rubi... I got in on recommendation... We had a separate exam last week."

There's a pause on the other side of the line.

"Well... That's not fair," Rubi huffs in my ear, and if she were here she knows I'd be glaring at her.

"Rubi, come on. If it makes you feel better, I had to do a written exam, a race with only five other people, and a very awkward interview to get in," I try to comfort her, adding one last thing to my hero suit before I start walking downstairs.

"Okay, yes, I guess that's true," Rubi murmurs as I hurry down the stairs.

"It was actually really challenging," I explain, "I was in a group with another girl who went to my Junior High, Momo Yaoyorozu... I finished the obstacle course just before her, but she did way better in the interview. I think she got in too."

I take one last look at my hero sketch, before folding the paper up and getting an envelope to send a response back to UA.

The High School of my dreams.

Pretty cool that I'm getting in.

I've been training my entire life for this since I could properly talk, run, and think for myself.

My Dad has been dead set on making me his prodigy, and that was even before we knew if I had a quirk or not. Regardless of a supernatural talent, he was going to turn me into a fighting machine, just like him.

I guess it was just a plus that I was born with a quirk, which only made my Dad push me even harder to train.

He's been prepping me for UA for longer than I can remember, and I can still clearly picture the joyous expression on his face when we opened the letter from UA that responded to my recommendation exam. He started jumping for joy when he found out I was 1 of 4 students chosen.

Let's just say it's been a long time since I've seen my Dad so happy he actually cooked dinner for us.

I think he was happier than I was, to be honest.

"Hey," I finish sealing the envelope, snapping myself out of my own thoughts as I ask my best friend, "When are you going to get here again?"

Rubi isn't from around here.

She lives in the Americas, on the West Coast in some state called California. I met her there so many years ago on a business trip with my Father...

We've been pen-pals and best buds ever since.

Rubi, who shares my dream of becoming a Pro-Hero, is flying across the country to participate in this entrance exam, eager to join me at our dream school.

She's supposed to be here sometime today, although she never told me when.

"Hmmm? Oh- Yeah. The plane landed like, an hour ago. I'm in a Taxi right now," Rubi says like it's obvious, and I find myself rubbing my temples.

"YOU COULDN'T HAVE TOLD ME THIS EARLIER?" I glare at nowhere in particular, narrowing my eyes.

"Well, I figured I'd just tell you when I got here," Rubi answers, pausing for a second before letting me know, "Oh, yeah, I'm here by the way."