Chapter 10: Grown Up Stuff

January 2011

"I'm so hungry, Janet! Have you eaten?"

The radiant day unfolded with a group of four navigating a bustling street. They hurriedly crossed a red light, appearing to be in a rush while ushering their children. A woman in her 30s strolled along with a little boy holding her hand, accompanied by another woman of the same age, who held onto a little girl. As if guided by fate, somehow they found a burger joint.

"Why don't we make a stop and buy some for the troops, V? I know we're.. a liiittle bit late, but poor them—they haven't even get a proper breakfast, right?" Janet suggested in glee.

Eventually, they joined the line, and as they finally got their hands on the burgers, the little boy seized one, proving to be even hungrier than his mom. He devoured the burger in a split second, earning cheers from the moms and amused glances from the other buyers. However the triumph was cut short since the boy suddenly choked on his own burger.

Amidst the panic, a stall seller from outside fortunately rushed to the rescue. With swift expertise, he helped the boy by putting his arms around the little boy's waist, and pulled sharply inwards and upwards—until a ball of meat spat out in a projectile motion.. and miraculously landed on someone's hat.

"Sir, thank you so much for helping my son! How much do we owe you?"

Tears welling on her eyes, Violet expressed her gratitude by willing to pay anything, but the seller offered a sweet sugarcane for free instead, special for little Tyler to wash away all the trauma he just experienced. As the commotion settled, the little girl observed her friend with a twinkle in her eyes.

She watched little Tyler sipped the sweet greenish drink like he was in a Coca Cola commercial. Without moving from her spot, she tugged at her mom's sleeve and mumbled, "I want it too!" Unable to resist the pleading eyes of her daughter, Mrs. Winters went to the sugarcane stall and approached the hero of the day to say,

"One please."

As little you eagerly received the sugarcane, they patiently waited for little Tyler to compose himself. However, when they redirected their attention back to you, the cup in your hands had already gone empty. Little you guiltily grinned, eliciting big laughter from the moms, even from post traumatized Tyler, as your antics always has a way to lift up his mood. Giggling and shaking her head at Violet in amusement, Janet approached the sugarcane seller again and say—

 Giggling and shaking her head at Violet in amusement, Janet approached the sugarcane seller again and say—

"Two, please."

You beam to the man you've known all your life. Giving you a wink of knowledge as he starts to work, he whistles in a good mood, eager to give you the freshest sugarcane in town. Turning your head to the left, you spot Tyler waiting, leaning himself on his Ducati, taking a drag from his pod.

"Two sweet sugarcane for the zweeet besties!"

The visible wrinkles on his face accompany his signature grin. Tilting your head, you give him a wide smile in appreciation. Accepting your most cherished drink in the whole wide world, your mind ponders on his appearance since you're just in the elementary school till now. Oh how time flies so fast.