Chapter 14: Start Anew

Eyes widening in embarrassment, you frantically start panicking to say sorry—but to your surprise..

"I knew it! It must've been the snacks! And the drinks too—shit why a Kombucha?!" Dominic turns to you, flashing his wide.. very, attractive grin.

Oh damn that grin.. that could match Tyler's indeed.

...

Wait why—stop it Em!

Noticing his playful intention, you match his wide grin and chuckles in amusement, yelling, "Should've been a sugarcane! And the jelly stars?! Really? What is this? Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader?!"

At your comebacks, Hunt lets out a loud scoff of disbelief as you reply with the same excitement, emitting a loud cackle. Shifting his head to the side, he shakes it in amusement before finally turning to face back to you with a smirk playing on his lips. For a moment, you both lock eyes, sharing a surprised yet enjoyable moment in your conversation.

Still smirking, Dom breaks it by moving his gaze to his cup and making a slow turning motion to stir it, apologizing in his low voice, "Sorry, I wasn't the one picking those out this time. I was busy with baseball, so—" but then as if realizing something crucial, he gives wide panic eyes to you to clarify, "trust me, I'm not a noob—"

"Your secret's safe with me."

You cut in, gazing at him with a sly smile. Exchanging knowing mischievous glances for a moment, you eventually burst into laughter as Dominic shouts,

"Oh God—"

"Hey! What's wrong with being a noob?! Noob is cool!"

Clearly holding in his amusement while still holding a cup on his right hand, he plunges his finger to you repeatedly in disbelief, speechless. You let out another giggle as you playfully ask, "Whaaat?"

"You're unbelievable."

Flashing you a charming grin, his blue eyes sparkling in the dim light—before turning his gaze back to the pool. You sit in a weirdly comfortable silence beside him, staring at the ripples.. until a question pops up on your mind.

"By the way.. how can you tell? Me not enjoying the time of my life, I mean—"

"Easy, you're sitting in the corner of the pool.. alone.. with a long face,"

Nodding your head in approval as you purse your lips, you praise, "Congrats, Sherlock, you just cracked your first case,"

Tilting his head as he shrugs a shoulder, he boasts, "Meh, first case is a little bit degrading."

You initially giggle, but as you remember his reputation, you turn to him, giving him a skeptical look. Sensing that you're scrutinizing him, Hunt looks back at you and finds your narrowed eyes. Initially matching you, he squints his eyes—until he understands the implication behind your look. Hunt gives you a jaded look as he retracts his head slightly and sighs,

"Come onnn, you know that's not what I meant."

Raising an eyebrow with a smug Detective Conan look, you bury your head behind your left shoulder, observing him from below, making him chuckle. Then you sit up straight again, chuckling to the skies as you question,

"Ok now—the big question of the night. Why haven't we really talked like this before?"

At your question, Dom scoffs and turns his head towards the house, his eyes searching for something—or more like.. someone. When he finds it, he cocks his head toward it, his blue eyes glued to you as he answers,