C2: The Big Sleep

"Morning!" greeted Chris, his gleaming, unnaturally white teeth blinding the approaching Y/N. "Hope you slept well."

Y/N smiled politely. "Good morning."

She hated his guts, but it didn't mean that manners were to be ignored.

"Hi, Chris!" exclaimed Heather, looking exceptionally happy for some reason. "You look really buff in those shorts."

"I know," Chris said, winking. "Okay. I hope you're all ready because your next challenge begins in exactly one minute."

"Oh, excuse me," Owen chirped. "I don't know if that's enough time to eat breakfast."

"Oh, you'll get breakfast, Owen." The host's smile twisted menacingly and Y/N suddenly felt dread course through her body. "Right after you complete your twenty kilometers run around the lake!"

Y/N groaned. Y/N, through the course of her life, had always been the slowest and least athletic out of her P.E. classes. The most she would be able to scrape would be a C.

She was going to fail her team. Right here, right now.

"Oh, so you're funny now? You know what I think would be funny?"

Eva approached Chris, barely containing her rage. Duncan seized her, wide-eyed, before she could pounce on the host.

"Eva!" hissed Courtney. "Try to control your temper?"

Eva paused for a moment, and turned to Chris. "You're enjoying this, aren't you?!"

"A little," admitted the host. "You have thirty seconds."

————-

Y/N panted, sweat running through her body, her legs about to give up, but still she persisted, running as fast as she could.

"Do you know how much longer?" gasped Harold.
"No," breathed Y/N in a shaky voice.

"Pick it up, people!" boomed Chris. "If you're not back by dinner time, you don't eat!"

——-

"What took you so long?" Courtney snapped as Y/N and Harold approached. "We just lost the challenge!"

"I'm sorry," Y/N muttered.

Courtney glared at her, but under Duncan's raised eyebrow and prying eyes, she merely huffed and looked away.

Why did he always have a thing against her?

"I think I'm having heart palpitations," Harold said, inhaling heavily, clutching his heart.

"Hey, wait a minute." Gwen's face lit up. "If they lost, that means we won the challenge!"

Heather, Trent, Owen, and Noah paused, as though to let the news sink in, and they cheered.

"Whoa there! Hold your horses, guys. That wasn't the challenge!"

Y/N let out a sigh of relief, but the confusion hit her.

"But... you said this morning that this was our challenge," Y/N said.

"Well, I did," Chris said fairly. "But, it's not. It's just a part of the real challenge. So, who's hungry?!"

Blue curtains swished away, revealing a magnificent feasts. Roasted, juicy turkey , mashed potatoes, mouthwatering gravy, bread buns, baked beans soaked in maple syrup. Y/N felt her mouth water.

"After a whole week of brown sludge, I almost cried when I saw that buffet," Gwen said, smiling slightly.

"And then I saw it," Owen started wistfully, eyes bright. "It was beautiful. There was turkey, and the naval bars, and baked beans and maple syrup... can I have a moment?" He asked, barely holding back his tears.