CHAPTER ONE

Kim Hye-on sat next to her sleeping brother Joon-hee on the bus with her headphones on looking out of the window even though there was no music playing

"YAH! Gyeong-jun is sleeping. It's too loud." Kim Jin-ha," Gyeong-jun's friend shouted.

"Those assholes," Dong-hyun said, irritated by their behavior.

"Leave them. It's not worth it." Hye-on looked at Dong-hyun and Hyun-ho with a tried expression.

She looked over to where her friends -Yoon-seo and Jung-won- were sitting and caught Yoon-seo looking at her brother.

"You stalker." She mouthed to Yoon-seo, smiling at her shocked expression. She looked away with a shy smile, mumbling. "I wasn't staring."

"Yah, Hye-on. Take a picture of Joon-hee for me." So-mi whispered to the tan-skinned girl, but Hye-on simply waved her off and sighed once she heard a camera click above her head.

After a long time, they finally reached their destination. Hye-on got out of the bus and stood next to her brother, adjusting the headphones on her ears. She stood still for a minute, staring at the building, and shivered at the eerie feeling it gave her.

As she turned to look at her brother, her view was blocked by Gyeong-jun, who just looked at her up and down and walked away, bumping her shoulder on purpose.

"Lee Yoon-seo. What are you doing? Let's go." Her brother walked up to them, looking at Yoon-seo.

"Okay." She replied, holding Hye-on's hand that was in her pocket.

"This building is so creepy." Hye-on shook her head, looking at Yoon-seo, who nodded in agreement.

They went inside the building with Hye-on behind them, scanning the lobby.

"Do you know what you want as a birthday present yet?" Joon-hee asked Yoon-seo as he and Jung-won scanned the QR code.

"Tell me today. I won't get you anything if you tell me past midnight." He said again.

"Gosh, you're so cheap." Yoon-seo laughed, taking two guides on the rack as Hye-on walked past them.

"But I haven't decided yet." Yoon-seo looked at him.

"A detective novel?" Joon-hee guessed, and Yoon-seo nodded.

"Hye-on, here," Yoon-seo called out to the curly-headed girl, handing her the thin booklet.

"Thanks." She smiled at Yoon-seo as they walked together.

"I'm not getting a good signal. Is it usually like that?" They stopped watching their teacher talk to the receptionist. "Could I make a phone call by chance?" The receptionist replied by saying it was not working at the moment.

Everyone was now gathered at gym, with Hye-on's back facing the speaker as she watched the girls dance.

The music suddenly stopped, and she turned around facing Gyeong-jun, who smirked at her walking away.