04: Library

Content Warning: 
This chapter contains references to past trauma. Reader discretion is advised.

***

Ohara's fingers roamed the books on the shelf, finding it challenging to decide on a book. Venturing into something new, the ardent fan of murder mysteries now stood in the romance fiction section of the library.

The last two periods on their schedule were free, given the teacher's absence, and with Raichi being too loud to allow a peaceful nap, she sought solace in the library. A book named 'Shanna' caught her attention, and without moving to a table, she settled on the floor, leaning her back against the bookshelf. Reading amidst books was her solace. Despite countless requests to her uncle for an extra room to transform into a library, Ego had refused, making the library her only sanctuary for reading.

"Uhm, hi, Ohara-san."

Ohara looked up to see none other than her new seatmate standing beside her, his face tinged with a slight blush. She smiled, noticing his shyness as he awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck.

"Hey, Chigiri! What brings you here?" She inquired, knowing that none of their friends were into reading. However, she noticed Chigiri had a novel in his hand. "You read?"

"Ye—yeah." Chigiri's shyness was evident. "May I si—sit with you?"

"Of course, why not." Ohara, always friendly, patted the spot next to her, inviting him to sit. "I never knew you were into reading, Chigiri."

"Oh, I love reading novels during my free time." He didn't meet her eyes, fidgeting with the book cover. "But today, I came here not only for reading, Ohara-san."

"Drop the formalities, Chigiri." She playfully snapped her fingers on his temple. "You and Nagi still call me Ohara-san."

"Oh, sorry... Ohara." He murmured, his fingertips fiddling with the book cover. "I'm going to ask you a very personal question, but if you're comfortable, can you answer?"

Ohara raised a brow, surprised by the unusually intimate conversation starter from someone as shy as Chigiri. One question lingered: What kind of personal question was he about to ask? Perhaps about her parents – that was the only thought that crossed her mind.

"Go ahead, Chigiri."

"I saw where you went yesterday." His head remained lowered, afraid to gauge her expression. "Since when have you been seeing a psychiatrist, Ohara?"

Her eyes widened as Chigiri Hyoma's beautiful pink irises met her dark brown ones. A momentary silence ensued, the boy waiting for an answer while the girl struggled to form her next words.

"It's alright if you—"

"BPD depressive episodes." She mumbled, looking away. "I've been on medication for a couple of months."

"Wha—what?" Chigiri couldn't believe his ears, hearing such words from the cheerful girl he had ever met. "I mean... no, but don't tell me you were trying to—" He hesitated to voice the next few words, but understanding his implication, Ohara nodded, her gaze fixed on her lap.

A pang struck his chest, realizing how deeply she had been suffering for months without any of them noticing. It was a serious issue, considering the implications of what she might have intended to do. But why hadn't she confided in anyone?

"No one knows, but Chigiri, could you promise me that you won't tell anyone?" She innocently asked, extending her pinky finger. "I really didn't want to worry you guys; that's why I kept it a secret."

He nodded, intertwining his little finger with hers. "I promise, Ohara. But, was Ego-san aware of this?"

Ohara slowly withdrew her hand, nodding. Chigiri then understood why Ego evaded their questions about Ohara. He knew they couldn't intervene, especially since she didn't want her friends to worry.