Spring Cleaning

Outside the entrance door to Peter's apartment building, Valen paced back and forth. She looked down at the sidewalk cement talking to herself. People passed by thinking she was manic with how she had full-fledged conversations even though there were no responses.

"Hey. How are you? I'm fine. Thank you. How's school? Really? No, no, no. Hey. How are you? We need to talk. Nope. Can't just blurt out we need to talk. Sounds serious. He might get worried. Hey-"

A stranger passing by grabbed onto her hand and slipped a five-dollar bill into it. "Buy yourself a pizza."

Valen stared at the man behind her sunglasses with her sweatshirt hood over her head covering her hair. She suspiciously slid the money down her side and straight into her jeans pocket. "Thanks."

"Valen?"

With the mention of her name, Valen turned around to someone she held dear. Aunt May stood before her, juggling the balance of multiple unfolded cardboard boxes.

"Valen, is that you?"

Valen slid her sunglasses down her nose and with a sheepish smile, she waved. "Hi, Aunt May."

One of the boxes started to slide out of May's arm, but she regained its balance and yanked it back up. "Uh, I-"

She nodded her head toward the door and walked inside without seeing if the girl would follow. But Valen, without full preparation for seeing Peter, followed.

The two awkwardly climbed the stairs in silence since the elevator was out of service. May was trying to figure out what to ask or more importantly, what was appropriate to ask. Valen was fidgeting with her hands scared of seeing her ... whatever he was to her now.

She didn't know why exactly she was here. The last time she saw him it didn't end well. She can still picture the way he looked at her after the incident with MJ. She didn't even know if he would forgive her.

But MJ? Ohhhhh, how Valen had so much rage for her. She would freeze her into a cube if she could. But why? It wasn't her fault. It was Peter's! Or was it? Her dads? Valen shook her head. She hated how messy everything felt.

"Come on in, hun. Excuse the mess. The landlord is doing major remodeling so everyone in the entire building is getting moved. Same rent, but in such a nicer building. Can you believe that?" May asked as she unlocked her door.

More cardboard boxes and bubble wrap littered the place. Each box had its own Sharpie written label from the kitchen, bathroom, May's room, Peter's room, to the living room. Decorations were scarce. There were two piles of keep or donate. Valen felt relieved Nat stuck to her word.

"Doesn't bother me." She took her hood off and put her sunglasses on the top of her head. She also took her ponytail out from under her sweatshirt. It was starting to itch her back.

May threw the boxes on the couch and walked into the kitchen. She slapped the granite counter and pointed a finger at her. "Do you want a sandwich? I can make a mean grilled cheese."

Valen, startled, jumped a little where she stood with her hands in her pocket. "Sure." She whispered, unsure of the behavior of the women throwing things onto the counter.

May started to laugh as she turned the electric stove on. She didn't explain what seemed to be funny as she put butter on her pan.

"One?" She asked.

"Yes." Valen looked around the apartment for any more signs of life. Now she wasn't afraid of Peter but of May.

"You know what's funny?" She asked over her shoulder. Her long hair swayed from the sudden movement.