Chernilny Nozh

This one is intentionally very dialogue heavy, so buckle up for questioned answers and new ones unanswered!

Walking down the dusty path from the chasm to Liyue Harbour, the 4pm sun was making them awfully hot and tired. Y/N and Neuvillette stopped in their tracks to look at the two tall statues underneath the Jade Chamber.

Y/N turned a confused eye towards the statues "Do you know what these statues represent?"

"I cannot remember if I ever knew, but I assure you I do not know now."

"Oh well. Maybe someone in Liyue Harbour will tell us later on. Though on another note

, I've never been this close to the Jade Chamber... it looks beautiful, even from below."

"I have been in it plenty of times to have some tea with Ningguang, her taste in beverages is quite immaculate. I'll bring you to my next meeting with her for you to try."

"Oo, exciting! Though, it's making me so thirsty thinking about it on top of this scorching heat, let's head straight for the harbour as soon as possible, not too much left to go."

Walking over the bridge towards the general good store, one of the Fatui spots Y/N. "Chernilny Nozh, is that you?"

Y/N shot a hard stare at the man who called her that name, and then looked up to her boss to see his reaction. He had utter confusion plastered on his face as he was unfamiliar with the name.

"Uh... yeah... Hello Nikolai. I didn't expect you to be here." She felt so awkward. Obviously Neuvillette knew that she would have some ties with the Fatui, as she lived in Snezhnaya, but his face clearly showed that he understood that he seemed to be someone she knew well.

"I must tell you, your work was amazing! It's a shame you didn't get to see the healing process, but my scars are almost undetectable. I applaud you, you deserve more than what I paid. How about I invite you and your... boyfriend? Husband? Just you two for a bite?"

She glanced at Neuvillette awkwardly because of the "partner" comment, and Neuvillette just looked back at her nonchalantly. She gestured a light dismissing wave at Nikolai. "No no, you are mistaken. This is my boss, Monsieur Neuvillette. Fontaines Chief Justice."

"Oh," he bowed in respect, "I am sorry for assuming. It was lovely to make your acquaintance, Monsieur. My names Nikolai, I am Y/N's former client. Though I never thought Chernilny would be working for the Chief Justice of Fontaine, at least not with her outstanding reputation in her original field."

"Good meeting you too. I apologise, we are on a tight schedule so we do not have time to eat with you, but, we appreciate the offer. Maybe another time when we are free. Goodbye, and have a nice afternoon."

"Good bye, Chernilny! And you too, Monsieur!" Nikolai skipped off in delight, an unusual sight of a Fatui member.

The two silently made their way to the second bridge walking towards the bank, when Neuvillette broke the silence. "I didn't want to bring this up in front of an old friend, and I wanted you to tell me about it yourself. I didn't know of this past position, as you had told me this was your first official job."

"And I told you the truth, this was my first official job."

"Then what was this 'original field' he was talking about? Who is Chernilny Nozh? I need answers if you are my assistant."

"Well, it's a very long story, you may want to sit down."

The pair walk around to find a table, in complete, deafening silence.

Y/N starts as soon as they sit down, anxious about the lack of sound. "Ok. So, maybe I had a very large reputation of being an artist in Snezhnaya. I worked in that field since I was 12."