CHAPTER SIX

CHAPTER SIX

Beth stared in horror at Aideen's corpse. "No!" She shouted. "Oh, God, this is all my fault!"

The male warlock ran, leaving the female warlock's corpse behind. It seemed Aideen had managed to kill her.

Jade opened her eyes, finally coming around. The spell she'd been unexpectedly hit with had broken when the female warlock died. Arnie's seizure also ended. He and Jade sat up at the same time.

"Beth?" Jade called.

Beth was sobbing hysterically, and now stood inches away from Aideen's corpse. "It's all my fault," she cried again. Jade hurried to her side.

"No, it's not," Arnie said, walking toward her with Cassandra.

"How the hell are you so calm?" Jade demanded.

"She'll be fine," Arnie replied.

"What?" Beth asked. "She's dead, Arnie! How is that fine?" She buried her face in Jade's shoulder.

Jade held her, not knowing what else to do. Jade was used to witnessing horrific deaths, but Beth was sheltered. This was probably too traumatic for her to process.

"She'll be back," Arnie insisted. "She always comes back. I hate it when she's decapitated, though. Part of me is always scared she won't be able to fix it this time."

"Is this part of her daily routine or something?" Jade asked in confusion.

"Aideen dies pretty often. You get used to it. The bad guys get a thrill out of killing her because each one wants to see if they'll be the one that keeps her dead."

"But decapitation is impossible to resurrect someone from," Jade said with a frown. "I mean, I'm pretty skilled with resurrection, but I can't reattach someone's head, and I've never met anyone who could."

"Aideen reattaches her own head," Arnie explained.

"I've always been told that it's the one way to guarantee keeping someone dead."

"It usually is, but Deenie's different."

"She's going to be angry," Cassandra said. "She hates being decapitated."

Jade watched in fascination as the flesh on Aideen's neck suddenly began reforming and slowly mending itself. Her head reattached itself neatly to her body, and after a couple of minutes, there was not so much as a scratch on her neck.

"Oh my Gods..." Jade said in surprise.

"I told you she'd be okay," Arnie said, but it was clear he was relieved.

Aideen's chest began to move up and down as she started to breathe shallowly. Soon, her breathing evened out, and her heart began to beat again. Beth was still in shock, but everyone else watched Aideen in silence. Finally, after another minute, Aideen opened her eyes.

"My head hurts..." She mumbled. "I hate it when that happens."

"Welcome back, Deenie," Arnie said. He immediately pulled her into a tight hug.

"Thanks," Aideen said. "Ease up, Arn. I'd like to keep being able to breathe again."

At the sound of Aideen's voice, Beth seemed to snap out of her shocked state. She looked at Aideen in confusion. Her eyes widened, her already pale skin completely drained of color, and her eyes became unfocused. Jade caught Beth as she fainted.

"Ooops," Aideen said with a shrug. "I have that effect on people sometimes."

"How did you do that?" Jade asked. "Are you immortal?"