CHAPTER SEVEN

CHAPTER SEVEN

Aideen was tired when she got home, and all she wanted to do was go to sleep. Arnie had decided to swing back by the Berlins' house before coming over for the night.

She was filled with a new energy when she walked into the house and saw her father packing a suitcase.

"Dad? Where are you going?" She asked him.

"I have a lead on the whole 'tomb where the angels go to die' situation," Benny replied.

"Really?" Aideen was excited now. "What is it?"

"One of the witches who used to live here when I was in college lives in California now. He is in possession of some historical documents about a place called l'endroit où les anges vont mourir. That's French for 'the place where the angels go to die.' I don't know if it's a tomb, but if it is, I'd say that's quite a solid lead."

"Definitely! When are we leaving?"

"We aren't," he replied firmly. "You're going to stay here with your mother and sister, Deenie. I am leaving in the morning."

"Dad! You can't mean that!" Aideen protested.

"Aideen, you're fifteen years old, it's the start of a new school year, and this is far too dangerous. I have no idea where this journey will take me. You're not coming with me."

"Dad, you can't leave me here when you're doing something this big," she insisted. "We're a team. We do everything together! You need me."

"Baby, it's not safe. I can't risk bringing you along this time."

"Don't treat me like a little kid, Dad! We always work together. I can handle this."

"Yes, we do, but not this time, Deenie. I know you can handle yourself, but this is different," he insisted.

Clarissa Phillips entered the room where Aideen and Benny were arguing. "I take it you told her?" She asked her husband.

"I did," Benny confirmed.

"I told you she wouldn't like it."

"Mom, tell him he can't do this without me," Aideen said.

"This is technically slayer business and I'm retired. I can't make that call, honey," Clarissa replied.

"Yes you can! You're not just my incarnated mom, you're my soul's mom for God's sake! If you say I can go, then I can go!" Aideen argued.

"And I'm your soul's cousin and your incarnation's father, Aideen. I get a say, too, and I'm putting my foot down on this," Benny said firmly.

"You're being so stupid! You need me, Dad!" Most teenagers didn't get away with talking to their parents like that, but Aideen was furious. She sensed in her heart that she was supposed to go with her father. Why was he being so stubborn?

"What I need is to keep you alive, baby," Benny insisted.

"Stop calling me baby! I'm not a baby. I know what I'm talking about."

Courtney Phillips entered the room and studied everyone for a moment, trying to navigate through the tension and heightened emotions. "What's all of the fighting about?" She asked quietly.

Courtney was Aideen's twin sister. The two were identical, except for the fact that Aideen's blonde hair currently had red streaks in it. They were polar opposites in most ways and fought frequently, but they were extremely close to each other.