CHAPTER EIGHT

CHAPTER EIGHT

There was a chill in the air when Alex stepped outside. With Salem being on the water, this wasn't especially odd, but something didn't feel right.

He cautiously began walking toward Pickering Wharf. Whatever he was sensing was coming from the Waterfront Witchery, the shop owned by Annabella Liggman.

Annabella came from a long line of powerful, respected witches. Her older sister, Ambrosia, was the coven's High Priestess, and her twin sister Augustina was also a powerful practitioner. Alex liked the Liggman sisters, and it bothered him that something seemed to be wrong inside of the shop.

It wasn't open for business yet, but Alex pulled on the door handle anyway. He was surprised to find it unlocked. Cautiously, he stepped inside.

Annabella was nowhere to be seen. Alex noticed the mess inside of the shop and was immediately concerned. One of the glass display cases had shattered. It didn't look like anything was missing, but there were shards of glass all over the floor and the inside of the case.

"Don't worry," a voice said from behind him. "He didn't get what he was after."

Alex spun around and spotted Annabella standing in the doorway. Her long, dark hair was loose and messy. She held a metal tin in her hands. She looked exhausted, but mostly uninjured. Alex frowned at the large bruise on her left arm.

"What happened here, Annabella?" He asked.

"Alvin happened," she replied calmly.

"Alvin Cortez?" Alex asked in surprise. "He attacked you?"

"Yes, after I cast a spell to keep him from stealing an athame."

"I thought Alvin was a trusted member of the coven."

"You're right... He was. Apparently, the warlocks made him an offer he couldn't refuse." Annabella sighed. "He'll answer to the Goddess," she stated stoically. Her lips curved into a small smile as she asked, "Would you like a brownie, Alex?" She opened the tin she was holding to reveal fresh baked goods.

Alex accepted her offering. "Thanks," he said as he bit into the divine snack. Annabella ate one herself, which seemed to bring her energy up significantly. "Are you hurt, Annabella?" He asked.

"Only emotionally," she replied with a humorless laugh. "I believed Alvin was devoted to us. Ambrosia and Luigi were shocked when I told them what happened."

"Where is Alvin now?" Alex asked.

"Shooter and Tammy arrested him about an hour ago. He shouldn't be a problem anymore."

"Why was he trying to steal an athame?"

Annabella pulled an onyx athame out of the shattered case. "He wanted this one. It's quite powerful. Whatever Alvin got himself into, it's serious. You know, if he'd just asked for help, the coven would have protected him..." She sighed.

"Did he say anything?"

"Other than calling me a bunch of nasty things I won't repeat and cursing his head off, he only mentioned one thing... Something about needing the protection against tormented innocents who were going to be released soon. When I tried to question him, he got physical with me. He apparently forgot how strong my magick is."

"Do you need anything? I can pay to replace the case," Alex offered.

Annabella smiled at him. "That's kind of you, Alex, but I can afford to do that myself."

"You shouldn't have to." He knew Annabella was a young widow with three kids to support. He hated the idea of her having to spend money on something like this.