Chapter Twelve

The weekend approached and I agonized over whether or not Gregg would call me for another date. It had been three days since we'd spoken on the phone and I was going out of my mind. I couldn't call him. I wasn't a puppy yipping at her master's ankles, begging for attention. No, I couldn't bring myself to do it. I would rather suffer through this state of torturous uncertainty than to do anything that desperate. The upside was that maybe Gregg would think I was being coolly standoffish. I'd read that boys try harder to get your attention if you appear to be unobtainable.

I stared at the phone, willing it to ring. The old adage proved true – a watched pot doesn't boil and a watched phone doesn't ring. Closing my eyes, I wondered if I was doing the right thing by not calling. Did I really want to be distant and cool? Sure, exuding a mysterious demeanor might attract some boys, but I had to be honest with myself – it just wasn't me. One of the things Gregg liked about me was that I didn't play games.

I groaned, pushed myself upright and reached for the wretched phone. I was about to pick it up, reducing myself to adoring, yipping puppy, when it rang under my hand. I jumped with surprise.

"Hello," I said.

"Hey there," Gregg's mellifluous voice rang in my ear. My heart picked up speed.

"Hi," I replied, sounding breathless. "What's up?" I asked.

"Well," he began and I loved the way he drew the word out, lingering over the short syllable. "There's a party next weekend at my college."

"Oh," I said. College – so soon? "I didn't think classes would start for a couple of weeks."

"Oh, classes haven't begun yet," he explained. "But some of the dorms are open. My buddy, Dean, is having a party at his dorm and I wanted to invite you and the girls."

I thought about the invite. It wasn't a legitimate date – he was inviting my friends too – but at this point, I'd take anything. Besides, I thought it was a good sign he was taking me up to his school to meet his friends.

"Sounds great," I gushed. I got control over my trembling voice before continuing. "I'll talk to Nicky, Ali and Kate about it. Is Fred going?"

We talked a little more about the particulars, but already my mind was on the possibilities a college party would present. There would be good music, lava lamps and dimly lit corners. There was limitless potential. Now I just had to be patient and get through the rest of the week.

The following days dragged by but Saturday inevitably arrived. When Kate picked me up at six o'clock I was ready and waiting by the front door. I saw the yellow banana boat pull up to my driveway and I scrambled into action.

"Mom!" I yelled, grabbing my bag and sweater. "I'm leaving!" I heard footsteps on the staircase and then my mother joined me in the kitchen. She looked me over from head to toe.

"You look very nice," she told me. I smiled, making a move for the door. "Wait a minute Jaime," she said and I sighed. I could never get out the door without the mandatory mom-lecture.

"What?" I asked, annoyed.

She gave me a stern look. "Do you really want to talk to me like that, right now?" she asked. "It might take you a bit longer to get going if you give me attitude."

"Okay," I mumbled, leaning my back against the door. Kate leaned on her horn and I cringed. "Sorry," I said.

"Good," my mother said. "I want you to be careful tonight. I understand you are officially out of high school and that you will be going to many college parties. I have no choice but to be okay with that – but I want you to use your head, okay?"