Chapter 2: Avery

Above: Fight Song by Rachel Platten

The Rolls-Royce pulls into a secluded driveway surrounded by trees. I am currently one driveway to my new, sure to be awful, life. A new life without my parents, my friends or my bed. One thing I do know about my new life, is that I won't be able to get any beauty sleep, if I do not have a Queen sized bed.

I sit in the back of my parents Rolls-Royce, with my arms crossed, wondering when this nightmare turned reality will end.

Never.

My parents are dead. They aren't coming back to get me. I won't be going home. I keep on trying to belive that this is all just some sort of nightmare and that I will wake up and it'll all be over. That won't happen and I'm just going to have to accept it.

I take a deep breath and glance at the window. I gasp as I see miles and miles of green fields filled with horses. Horses of every kind and every color graze contently in the fields. In the distance I can see a couple of girls jumping their horses over a complex course.

"Wow." I whisper, impressed.

I had forgotten that my aunt and uncle owned one of the most prestigious racing stables as well as riding academy in the state. It sure was an impressive place.

Not far from where we were right now, sat a huge red barn, along with two other ones that looked slightly smaller. Maybe it was just perspective.

A woman was walking a dapple gray mare out of the seemingly bigger red barn. When she saw my late parents's car, she waved and smiled at me. I doubt she could even see me, but I waved nonetheless.

My family's chauffeur, Charles, pulled over to the right into another driveway surrounded by green bushes that were neatly trimmed. We pulled through the hedges into a yard straight out of a historical romance.

A tall yellow colonial house loomed over the car. It had a warm feeling to it. A feeling that made you just want to walk in and forget your problems.

I could use that just about now.

In the back of the house, I could see a blue inground pool, one of those wooden swings and a garden. Surrounding the house, there were flowers of every kind. The glowers just made it seem even more relaxing.

Whereas my house had represented money and power, my relatives's house represented family and hope.

This was a house were my family could never live. Never would. Never could.

I feel a small tear make its way down my face.

"Miss Avery? Are you alright?" Says a voice, ripping me out of my depressing thoughts.

Yanking my head up, I stare at our chauffeur.

"Uh, yes. I am fine. Thank you for your concern."

He smiles sadly at me. "I understand your sadness, Miss Avery. I miss them as well, I can't even imagine what this must be like for you."

I restrain a sob. "Thank you, Charles. You have been a great help to my family over the years. I will miss you greatly." I pull him into a hug.

He hugs me back with the same sadness.

"As will I, Miss Avery. I hope to cross your path once again in the future."

I nod. "You will. I promise. I will write you while you are back in England. Write me back about your family. Please."

"I will. I will miss you, Miss Avery."

I pull back and smile at the man that has taken care of my family for so many years. He smiles sadly back at me.