Millet Curd 'Rice'

The rice in the title in in quotation mark because this recipe has no rice in it and it is simply there to indicate the inspiration behind this dish. Curd Rice is a traditional dish from South India and today we are adding our own twist and preparing it with Finger Millet instead.

 Curd Rice is a traditional dish from South India and today we are adding our own twist and preparing it with Finger Millet instead

Ingredients -

1/4th cup finger millet

3/4th cup water

3/4th cup curd

1/4th cup cucumber, grated

1/4th cup carrot, grated

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 green chili, chopped

1/4th teaspoon mustard seeds

1/4th teaspoon white whole urad dal

1 teaspoon oil

Chopped coriander for garnish (optional)

Procedure -
1. Soak the millet in water for 6 hours.

2. Using the same water, pressure cook the millet upto 3 whistles in a pressure cooker.

3. After cooking, drain the water but don't throw it away. Keep the water aside and let the millets cool down.

4. In a bowl mix the curd, salt, cucumber and carrots. Refrigerate it until you want to eat.

5. When it's time to eat, we need to add the tempering. For that in pan heat the oil and add in the mustard seeds, white whole urad and green chili. Let it sizzle for a few seconds and then add into the bowl.

6. Add in the millets and garnish with coriander.

7. Serve cold.

Note -

1. You can add more chili and salt based on your taste.

2. Do not add anything while boiling or pressure cooking the millets. You can drink the water remaining after draining the millets as it's a good source for minerals.