Chapter Eight: Secrets and Stars

Content warnings: canon events and triggers of media used, uncensored cussing, violence, etc.
Media: Moon Knight S1E3 "The Friendly Type", Moon Knight S1E4 "The Tomb"; references to Primeval S3E3, Primeval S3E5
Word count: 2,681

     They acquired themselves a vehicle after collecting the bags, and Layla drove while Marc sat beside her and Sarah laid down in the backseat

     They acquired themselves a vehicle after collecting the bags, and Layla drove while Marc sat beside her and Sarah laid down in the backseat.  She took two paracetamol dry, hoping to avoid overdoing it, and applied an instant ice pack to where Bek had hit her.  The bruises were doubtlessly already forming.

     "I really liked that jacket.  Oh well."  Marc muttered and tossed the item in question into the backseat, careful to avoid accidentally hitting Sarah in the face with it.

     "What was Harrow talking about?"  Layla asked, her voice brokering no argument or evasion.

     "Everything that comes out of his mouth is a load of rubbish, if you ask me."  Sarah grumbled truthfully.  "'Running from something'- the man's bonkers, which I already knew, but being an Avatar and all that- shouldn't he be, I don't know- more likely to suspect a supernatural reason for me having to fake all my records?"

     Momentarily diverted from interrogating Marc, Layla asked, "What's that supposed to mean?"

     Sarah sighed.  "It's a long story, and you wouldn't believe me if I told you.  But I'm not some criminal with a dark past.  I was a researcher, and my life took a turn.  I nearly died and Lagaro helped me start a new life.  The finer details aren't relevant.  I should've bloody known better than to go back to the British Museum."

     "Your turn, Marc.  What was he talking about?"  Layla returned to grilling her husband.

     "What do you mean?"  He mumbled, as if he could avoid the subject.

     "He said I had a right to know."

     "I have no idea."  He lied.  Well, Sarah though he was probably lying.

     "I never told anyone why I really moved."  Layla said.  "I mean, but he knew, he just saw right through me."

     "I don't know honey, he's just trying to mess with you.  You know, he's trying to get in your mind."  Evasion tactic as it was, Marc's words were true.  "No, don't let him do that, you know?  He's got this idea that he can see the true nature of people or some... baloney like that.  If that were true I don't think he'd have a bunch of homicidal maniacs as his disciples, would he?"

     "So it's not true, what he said about you and-?"

     "No, no, it's not true."  Marc told her.  "Of course not.  No, he's just trying to divide us.  Don't let him get in your head."

     "Every time I learn something new about you, I think, 'That's it.  There can't possibly be any secrets left between us.'  And then something else pops up, and it's like I've not known you at all."