~ T W E N T Y | M E M O R I E S ~

Memories

To love is to lose.

His soft words haunted her, she did not want to know of his existence, his being.

To forget him was her wish, her one desire.

"He's gone."

Her eyes closed in desperation.

Without even a goodbye.

"He will die." Balqees hesitated as her eyes began to water. "He is not a bad person." She almost pleaded, as though she would drag Laila to stop Usman herself.

"Was he good?" Laila asked, seeming to force the words on her tongue.

She had seen his gentleness, his kindness. But she had suffered his evil.

There was no balance.

He would have always chosen the same path, filled with hate.

"He betrayed me-"

"At what cost. His life?!" Balqees stormed towards Laila, tormented by her indifference. She held the girl by her shoulders, turning her around.

"He will not die!" Laila shouted, refusing to believe that such a powerful warrior would succumb to death. Balqees shook her head, raising her palm to caress Laila's cheek.

"He no longer has anything to live for."

"What?"

The woman before her wept; Usman would die one day, but not like this.

"The sultan has hidden the truth from you. I... have hidden the truth from you." Laila stopped.

"What do you mean?"

Balqees took hold of Laila's hand, moving her towards the door.
Their walk was silent, heavy footsteps leading towards a corridor that Laila had once found. It was where she had been confronted by Sultan Amir and scarcely managed to escape.

A door.

A door which had called her.

Balqees stopped, reaching inside her dress pocket. She bought out keys to unlock the abandoned entrance.

Silent, bar the single creak of the door as it opened. A damp smell overcame them as the forsaken room was found again.

Laila willed herself to look around. Cobwebs covered the walls, the stray light from a partially covered window allowing some sight.

There was a bed in the centre of the room, sheer curtains circling it. Carefully carved furniture patterned the room, dust carpeting its surface, untouched.

Laila turned to Balqees, confused.

The old woman understood.

She approached a cupboard, opening it to find a small locked box.

"This is your mother's room." She spoke, wiping the dust from the intricately decorated item. Balqees coughed, bringing the box forward as Laila identified the writing carved into the wood.

سمية

Sumayah

Balqees looked towards the pendant around the girl's neck. Laila clutched the jewellery.

"It was a gift from my mother." she informed, removing the key.

"Your mother was very bright" Balqees looked away, shame in her gaze. Laila clasped the key, seeing how it fit perfectly into the box. She opened it with caution.