Chapter Two

We arrived to the small village in the early morning, after travelling for 3 days without stopping to take rest, I only slept an hour each day while Marlyin slept all the way. I guess it's always better to have an older sibling because they'll go through tough stuff for you.

It was sunny and warm but windy, the sky was clear ocean blue with no white clouds blocking the sun. The grass was dark bright green, beautifully bending in one direction with the strong wind. I could also see from where I was standing my grandads sheep's and cows like white dots in the grass. I also could see Peter playing with the chicks likes always as he had no friends apart from animals.

Peter was just a poor orphan boy who lived with my grandad and took care of my grandad as he was very old. He would cook, clean and take care of the animals like chickens, sheeps and cows. Although he was just 11years old, he was taking the responsibilities of a man and that's what I really liked about him.

"Grandad look it's Martha And Marlyin" He shouted while running towards us. I could see how happy he was to see us and that made me finally feel loved after the incident with my mother. My grandad hurried up and came out of his small house with hands full of soap, I think he was washing the dishes, smiling at our presence.

"Martha! oh lord! you're here! I can't... I can't tell you how much I'm happy right now to see you... and Marlyin! oh beautiful Marlyin, look at you sleeping like an angel. Now hurry up and let me guide the donkey, I'm sure you're exhausted! " and he took the donkeys rope from my hand.

The moment I entered the house I threw myself on the sofa that was made out wood and covered with what I call sheep clothes. It was comfortable, I felt so happy, my body was aching for three days in a row. Sleepless nights, endless walks, it was purely terrible but it was worth it. Now that we reached granddads house I felt safe and I knew Marlyin is safe too.

'Oh my love Martha, you are really exhausted as your facial expressions say it all' said grandad. 'I'm guessing your mum couldn't make it, my worst fear did arrive' tears started to slide down his cheeks ' I told her to hide, to stay here with me, I begged her! But she wouldn't listen' he looked into my eyes and said 'you know Martha, you're mum was a very strong woman, she was the son I never had and I have never regretted having her instead of a boy' he started smiling while tears still sliding down his cheeks.
I got up of the sofa and hugged him tightly and that was when I lost it. I cried like no ever, tears were falling like  waterfalls, it was like a river going down my cheeks! I had too! I was in so much pain. My mother didn't leave my mind at all, she was all that I was thinking about on the way and none of it was good memories. The image of her crying, being kicked and hit by a stick, pulled by her hair, screaming for help knowing no one would interfere, her blood ! Just wouldn't get out of my head and I don't think it ever will.

But that wasn't the reason why I cried when I hugged my grandad. He smelts just like her somehow, his hug was similar to his, warm and soft, him stroking my hair just like she did, yet it was never going to feel the same as her hugs and that when it hit me, that I was never going to get that hug again! That she was never coming back again! That she was gone! Forever!

'Your mother fought for women, she stood up alone against the Kings men and fought them like a man, she said that this is why she was born at this time ... To protect innocents and save them. She was ready to die fighting for her rights ... But that was before you two were born, two little cute piglets'
He placed his finger on my nose pushing it up 'Oink oink' he whipped away my tears with his palm and started tickling me, it was the first time I laughed after my mothers incident and it felt weird.