THE HELP

Since Grian reports that they'll be there soon, Joe gives everyone extra rations to jump-start the day. They continue downstream, faster than before. Joe is pulled into more of the middle of the group as they walk, smiling along. But he still stayed along the edge of the group.

"Joe?" Mumbo steps closer. "I—I think I need more of my supplements."

"More? You took the normal dose." Even still, Joe turned his backpack around and dug through the jumble of medicine. "Are you feeling off?"

"Yeah. I think the diet shift is to blame...I don't think the environment could shift me needing more or less blood."

"That would make sense. Your diet included lots of red meat, didn't it? Balanced, but still red meat."

"Sure...?"

"Well, when we get where we're going, I think we can get you some proper protein." Joe smiled and handed one more pill to Mumbo. He swallowed it dry, coughing a little from it.

False approaches him a little afterwards, "Sorry about last night. I thought I was getting better at...controlling myself."

"It's only natural," Joe reassures her with a pat in the shoulder.

"Not to me. I have problems...really big ones. Anger is natural but not my level of it! I was about to kill something. Because my brain just—I don't know! I couldn't let it go!"

"Don't think about it like that. Primitively, someone with anger could more easily intimidate a predator and save their clan. In the far past, you'd be the best protector!"

"Joe—What? That doesn't matter, not in this era. I could've died chasing them. Or gotten lost. And originally, I was going to hurt you. If I wasn't going to attack those wolves, someone else was going to get hit." She laughed in a slightly breathless way and rubbed her arms, "Even with my medication, I'm still riled up. I don't think being in the middle of a forest with sudden sounds is the best for me. Something will happen at some point, I will hurt someone. Joe, I don't want to hurt any of you."

"And you won't," he puts on a reassuring smile. "Hermits are a family, and you're a Hermit. Family doesn't hurt family. Don't think of yourself as a loose cannon, some explosive close to going off. Try to think of yourself as more of a protector, of sorts."

"I get that you're being supportive but...I don't know. Just thanks. For trying at least. But I still don't feel safe with myself."

"We'll be somewhere safer and less stressful soon."

"Okay," False gives a small smile and walks off into another part of the group.

The flatter ground starts to slope downwards slightly as the day turns to afternoon. Their lunch break is shorter as everyone's chatter ramps up during the walk. A few others come up and talk to Joe as they walk along, but he still stands off to the side.

Some time in the afternoon, there are shouts of joy as some Hermits start to move forward. Grian squawks something and they all stop. After some frantic waves from Xisuma, Joe finds his way to the front of the group. The river splits off into two and he can see the flowering willow through the tree line. But just off to the side, where a wooden bridge lies, is a group of scientists and soldiers.

"What do we do?" Xisuma whispers. He frantically looks between the bridge and Joe.

Joe friend and pulls out Scott's instructions. It mentions nothing of a bridge or the possibility of people blocking the way. "I'm not entirely sure. But I have a feeling we're going to have help..." He turns back around and drags out Cub from the rest of the group, "Can you hear anything of note?"