Elder Neequaye

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
Okay seriously, I need some serious pointers. I really need to get more people to read my stories but I don't know how. I am seriously trying here, but on the previous part, I had like two views. I need to get people to notice my story so they can help me build up on it. And to those who have read it? PLEASE!!! I NEED YOUR FEEDBACK. Tell me what I should do to attract a bigger audience. Tell me what you like about the story and most importantly, what you don't like so I can work on those faults. And if you like the story... please vote... it really encourages me.

Also, special thanks to @issatoujallow33 for voting and thus encouraging me to continue this story. She has a special place in my heart for being the first person to vote-and comment- on this story!

Now then, let us continue from where we last left off...

The Princess narrowed her eyes, "What did you say to me?"

"I will not deign to repeat my-,"

Before Kabu could finish his sentence, the Princess delivered a kick to his right calf, causing him to fall. Before he touched the ground, the Princess drew his sword out of its scabbard, and pointed it at his chest when he finally landed on his back. The Princess's movement were so quick that to the other council members, Kabu was speaking one second, and in the next he was on the ground, with the Princess standing over him, pointing his own sword at his chest.

"One more word, out of that vile mouth of yours, and I will give your wife one less thing to worry about." The Princess smiled, "Is that clear, Master Kabu?"

Kabu swallowed and nodded. Since none of the council members had seen the seemingly frail Princess spar with her brother before, they all assumed that Kabu had, in fact, tripped and that the Princess had taken advantage of the situation and armed herself with Kabu's sword. Even Kabu himself- who knew deep down that he had not in fact tripped- tried to convince himself that he had collapsed out of hunger because of his failure to supplement the coco he had eaten that morning with the kenkey that his wife had prepared for him. And so when the Princess took the sword from his chest, Kabu sat on the ground, cursing his wife for not persuading him to eat the kenkey she prepared in the morning.

The Princess stepped over Kabu and walked towards Elder Neequaye, with Kabu's sword in her hand.

"And you, Elder," she said, pointing to the elder with the sword, "you welcome this trial? After what that pig did to your daughter?"

Elder Neequaye, being one of the council members who thought Kabu had tripped, replied, "Yes, I welcome it. It was not Adotey's fault that he mistook my daughter for a whore, because that is, in fact, exacty what she is."

"A whore?" the Princess said icily.

If the elder had any sense at all, he would have noticed the chilly note the Princess's voice had taken and he would not have said, "Yes, a whore. She, who would dress as a local girl and sneak out of my palace in the dead of the night so she could sleep the village boys. I am glad Adotey found her yesterday before she could turn you into a harlot and lose what little shred of dignity she had left."

"How dare you?" the Princess said, moving closer to the elder. "How dare you talk about her dignity, when it is your cowardice that is preventing you from condemning Adotey?!"

"You call me a coward?"

"A coward and a fool! How dare you betray your own daughter? How dare you call her a whore?! Many things I can forgive elder, but I will never forgive you for this insult!"

"Nor will I forgive you for calling me a coward!" the elder retorted.

"Then it is settled then," the Princess responded, swinging her blade, "you have dishonoured your own daughter by calling her a whore. And since she is not here to defend her honour, I will do it for her. I do not care that you are her father, for you are a cowardly fool and I will treat you as such."

"Watch your tongue, little girl, lest I be forced to slay you."

"And you would have your chance momentarily, Elder, for I challenge you to a duel!"

The council members gasped and the King sat up straighter on his throne. His sister was blinded by grief. He would have to intervene before things got out of hand. The Elder, now aware of his predicament gulped and said,

"Surely you are not serious, Princess."
The Princess smirked, the fire still blazing behind her dark eyes, "Draw your sword elder and let us battle to the death!"

"Sister! Do not be rash! Think about what you are asking!" the King shouted. The Princess ignored him.

"Come on, Elder. We do not have all day. Accept the challenge, or prove your cowardice in front of the council."

The King, seeing that he could not convince his sister, turned towards the elder. "Elder Neequaye, I cannot order you not to accept the challenge but I implore you not to. Do you wish to have your hands stained with the blood of a princess?"

The Elder considered this for some time. Finally he said to the Princess,
"You are lucky the King has intervened on your behalf. I will pardon your insolence today and blame it on your grief. I do not wish to see the King crippled by the death of his sister."

"And what makes you so sure that I would be dead at the end of our duel?" the Princess scoffed. "Or are you just making up excuses, Elder? Are you so cowardly that even when challenged by a girl you would hide behind the words of our King?"

"You test me Princess! I do not wish to see you dead."

"I do not fear death," the Princess seethed. "I am not a coward! I am not you!"

The Elder clenched his fist. The King knew the Princess would try to provoke Elder Neequaye and he saw that it was working. Now if the Elder refused the challenge, he would be viewed as a coward.

"Do the honourable thing for once, Elder," the Princess continued, "Or will you just stand there and accept my insults? Punish my impudence, Elder! Draw your sword!"

Elder Neequaye put his hand on the hilt of his sword, and drew the blade from its scabbard.

***
Glossary:
Coco- A kind of greyish corn-based porridge made mostly by inhabitants of the northern regions of Ghana, that has rapidly become popular nationwide.

Kenkey- A corn-based food normally served with pepper and fish among the Ga people of Ghana.