Chapter 13 Retribution Scheme

In a twist of fate that seems to favor JOE, a family's car breaks down at the intersection of Beilin City and Kyoto just three days after his war fortress is destroyed. A cruel scene unfolds: the infected husband turns on his wife in the front seat, killing her first. Their little girl attempts to flee but is tragically dismembered by a horde of zombies. Witnessing this brutality, JOE can't help but smirk. Why should he care for humanity when they're out to destroy him? This incident symbolizes the final break between JOE and the human race. However, he knows that to survive on Earth, he must quickly bolster his strength.While searching for the car keys among the zombies, JOE stumbles upon an astonishing discovery: one of the zombies can absorb his G-level psychic energy, a feat not achievable by ordinary beings. This zombie, now dubbed "Number One," shows signs of evolving into a powerful entity, either a zombie lord or a controller. JOE delights in the thought of having such a formidable ally.Number One's intelligence grows as JOE feeds it psychic energy. Yet, as soon as it begins to think independently, it falls asleep, leaving JOE to continue his search for the keys. Ironically, the keys turn up on Number One itself.JOE decides to infiltrate the Kyoto base alone, considering Number One too conspicuous and potentially burdensome. He directs Number One to head towards Lanxiang City for temporary shelter.At the Kyoto base, JOE undergoes a blood test to check for zombie infection. If he's discovered to be an evolutionary, he'd be in serious trouble. Fortunately, he's issued a civilian card and quickly leaves the base to avoid further suspicion. JOE's plan for revenge isn't against humanity as a whole but rather to inflict significant damage on the Kyoto base.The eighth Chairman rejoices over the apparent destruction of the mutated zombie stronghold, unaware of JOE's survival and ongoing schemes.Under cover of night, JOE sets a cunning trap by dousing the base's grain warehouse and residential area with gasoline, a resource scarce among the base's lower levels. His plan is to incite internal strife among the humans, causing chaos from which he can escape.Lighting a match, JOE ignites the warehouse, and the flames quickly spread to the residential area. Amidst the ensuing pandemonium, he slips away unnoticed. The base's sentries are gone, probably joining the effort to save their trapped loved ones.On a motorcycle, JOE speeds away from the base, heading towards Lanxiang City to reunite with Number One.Upon waking from his training the next morning, JOE feels rejuvenated and powerful. He marvels at how cultivation, a concept he'd only read about in martial arts novels, can replace sleep. After hunting some zombies for points, JOE indulges in a meal while Number One, lazily, continues to sleep. Reminded of a character known as "Fatty," JOE observes similarities between him and Number One, both in laziness and physical appearance.Number One wakes only to eat before falling asleep again, leaving JOE astounded by its lethargy.Searching for clues about Number One's identity, JOE finds a photo in its pocket. The revelation shocks him – the person in the photo is "Fatty." Could this lazy zombie be someone JOE once knew?This segment of the story captures the harsh realities of a post-apocalyptic world, where alliances shift, and survival hinges on adaptability and cunning. JOE's journey, marked by betrayal, discovery, and a quest for strength, mirrors a narrative common in American dystopian fiction, where characters navigate treacherous landscapes and morally complex situations.